16762Mindfulness in Constant Practice

    Aug 15, 2009
      It's one thing to sit in meditation and be
      mind-full of what's going on in any given
      moment, but that may only take 20 minute to
      an hour of your day. What about the rest of
      the time? Are you spending it just letting
      your mind run wild? Sitting in meditation
      (no matter which method is used) brings you
      to the present moment and thus affords you
      the opportunity to be aware of "what is",
      and not just get caught up in the all too
      usual rehashing of the past and fantasizing
      about the future that makes us fluctuate
      between happiness and sadness, reality and
      delusion, serenity and anger, etc. Consistency
      in this mode is a beautiful thing, and need
      not be limited to just a short time every day.
      Ongoing Mindfulness is a perfect antidote to
      the habitual attachment to whatever our mind
      grabs hold of and then extrapolates on (with
      our emotional and physical reactions following).
      When practicing Mindfulness, we should just
      be aware of what we are seeing, hearing,
      tasting, smelling, feeling, thinkingÂ….and not
      comment about it. If we are just witnessing and
      not judging, comparing or commenting we are
      Being in Reality with life as it is and as it
      takes place. Let your awareness of the present
      see something and just note `I see". Let your
      awareness of the present hear something and just
      note "I hear". Do not analyze anything you see.
      Just note that you see it. Do not analyze what
      you hear. Just note that you hear it. Fill your
      mind with awareness and drop all the chatter.
      This stops the attachment to and judgment of what
      you see, and the sadness and fear you go through
      when you judge it to be a threat, and the pangs
      of desire that take place when you yearn for it
      if you judge it to be good. This reactive trap
      has and always will cause the suffering that we
      experience.

      Silent Witnessing is what Mindfulness is
      all about. The more you practice it the more
      it "works" and the less you'll suffer. Sit in
      meditationÂ…and also walk and work and play in
      meditation. Remember what the Zen Master said
      when asked what should be done to know
      Enlightenment. He answered "Attention!"
      And when pressed to elaborate, he said
      "Attention! Attention! Attention!"