16745The Hardest Meditation Techniques

    Aug 8, 2009
      Back in the 60's and 70's many people came to
      know first hand that taking drugs was
      a very hard way to evolve in consciousness.
      The psychedelic drugs would reveal previously
      unknown perceptions of reality, and that may
      be perceived as being "good" (good being
      defined as those things which bring or
      maintain your peace), but then the drugs
      would take you away from your peace by
      thrusting you from here to there without your
      having control. Of course, our senses, minds,
      and emotions do this all the time, but at a
      pace where, with meditative/yogic/spiritual/etc
      training, we can have some degree of self-control
      and stop the flow of changes and redirect our
      attention elsewhere if we deem it appropriate.
      LSD, peyote, etc take this ability away unless we
      become very familiar with their activity and if
      we have a "Guide" (inner or outer) to lead us
      through the turbulence. This makes drug-use one
      of the most challenging types of Meditation or Yoga.

      During the many classes we shared in adult education
      classes we found one technique the "hardest". This
      was simply to refrain from voicing negativity in
      any way for an hour. And if you succeeded, try it
      for longer and longer periods of time. If this seems
      easy (or just for a revealing understanding of what
      you habitually do), try it yourself. It's not only "hard",
      but very educational!