16743Re: [Meditation Society of America] Harvard Medical catching up with yogis

    Aug 1, 2009
      Yo WestWind and Papajeff,
      Great stuff and thanks for sharing.
      Here's a list of 101 Benefits of Meditation
      (from http://www.ineedmotivation.com/blog/2008/05/100-benefits-of-meditation/ )

      Physiological benefits:
      1- It lowers oxygen consumption.
      2- It decreases respiratory rate.
      3- It increases blood flow and slows the heart rate.
      4- Increases exercise tolerance.
      5- Leads to a deeper level of physical relaxation.
      6- Good for people with high blood pressure.
      7- Reduces anxiety attacks by lowering the levels of blood lactate.
      8- Decreases muscle tension
      9- Helps in chronic diseases like allergies, arthritis etc.
      10- Reduces Pre-menstrual Syndrome symptoms.
      11- Helps in post-operative healing.
      12- Enhances the immune system.
      13- Reduces activity of viruses and emotional distress
      14- Enhances energy, strength and vigour.
      15- Helps with weight loss
      16- Reduction of free radicals, less tissue damage
      17- Higher skin resistance
      18- Drop in cholesterol levels, lowers risk of cardiovascular disease.
      19- Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing.
      20- Decreases the aging process.
      21- Higher levels of DHEAS (Dehydroepiandrosterone)
      22- prevented, slowed or controlled pain of chronic diseases
      23- Makes you sweat less
      24- Cure headaches & migraines
      25- Greater Orderliness of Brain Functioning
      26- Reduced Need for Medical Care
      27- Less energy wasted
      28- More inclined to sports, activities
      29- Significant relief from asthma
      30- improved performance in athletic events
      31- Normalizes to your ideal weight
      32- harmonizes our endocrine system
      33- relaxes our nervous system
      34- produce lasting beneficial changes in brain electrical activity
      35- Cure infertility (the stresses of infertility can interfere with the release of hormones that regulate ovulation).

      Psychological benefits:
      36- Builds self-confidence.
      37- Increases serotonin level, influences mood and behaviour.
      38- Resolve phobias & fears
      39- Helps control own thoughts
      40- Helps with focus & concentration
      41- Increase creativity
      42- Increased brain wave coherence.
      43- Improved learning ability and memory.
      44- Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
      45- Increased emotional stability.
      46- improved relationships
      47- Mind ages at slower rate
      48- Easier to remove bad habits
      49- Develops intuition
      50- Increased Productivity
      51- Improved relations at home & at work
      52- Able to see the larger picture in a given situation
      53- Helps ignore petty issues
      54- Increased ability to solve complex problems
      55- Purifies your character
      56- Develop will power
      57- greater communication between the two brain hemispheres
      58- react more quickly and more effectively to a stressful event.
      59- increases one's perceptual ability and motor performance
      60- higher intelligence growth rate
      61- Increased job satisfaction
      62- increase in the capacity for intimate contact with loved ones
      63- decrease in potential mental illness
      64- Better, more sociable behaviour
      65- Less aggressiveness
      66- Helps in quitting smoking, alcohol addiction
      67- Reduces need and dependency on drugs, pills & pharmaceuticals
      68- Need less sleep to recover from sleep deprivation
      69- Require less time to fall asleep, helps cure insomnia
      70- Increases sense of responsibility
      71- Reduces road rage
      72- Decrease in restless thinking
      73- Decreased tendency to worry
      74- Increases listening skills and empathy
      75- Helps make more accurate judgements
      76- Greater tolerance
      77- Gives composure to act in considered & constructive ways
      78- Grows a stable, more balanced personality
      79- Develops emotional maturity

      Spiritual benefits:
      80- Helps keep things in perspective
      81- Provides peace of mind, happiness
      82- Helps you discover your purpose
      83- Increased self-actualization.
      84- Increased compassion
      85- Growing wisdom
      86- Deeper understanding of yourself and others
      87- Brings body, mind, spirit in harmony
      88- Deeper Level of spiritual relaxation
      89- Increased acceptance of oneself
      90- helps learn forgiveness
      91- Changes attitude toward life
      92- Creates a deeper relationship with your God
      93- Attain enlightenment
      94- greater inner-directedness
      95- Helps living in the present moment
      96- Creates a widening, deepening capacity for love
      97- Discovery of the power and consciousness beyond the ego
      98- Experience an inner sense of "Assurance or Knowingness"
      99- Experience a sense of "Oneness"
      100- Increases the synchronicity in your life

      and the 101st is that Meditation is free!

      FAIR USE NOTICE
      This site contains copyrighted material the
      use of which has not always been specifically
      authorized by the copyright owner. We are
      making such material available in our efforts
      to advance understanding of environmental,
      scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
      etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
      for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
      the material on this site is distributed
      without profit to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving the included information
      for research and educational purposes. For more
      information go to:
      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
      site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
      you must obtain permission from the copyright owner

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, WestWindWood <westwindwood2003@...> wrote:

      > I would like to comment a little more.  My previous message is the way I actively
      > approach an illness.  I would also say
      > that just meditating without a medical issue does calm a person and relieve the
      > chaos in the mind that occurs from normal living.  I am sure that relieving that stress would make for a healthier
      > person.  Try meditating and you will
      > observe that after about twenty minutes, all those feelings that are banging
      > around will settle down and you will be aware of your central dominant
      > feeling.  Meditate another twenty
      > minutes and that will settle also.  The problem is that the dominant feeling will occur in the next session, so you have to actively work on you issues between sessions by actively trying to change behavior.  For instance, if you find yourself trying to be dominant with another for no evident benefit, let then have their way if no harm is likely to come from doing so.  You might feel like you are giving up a part of yourself in doing so, but do it to become a better person.  It
      > takes three or four sessions for the chaos to settle enough for the
      > twenty-minute intervals to become evident.
      > After all you have a lifetime of feelings accumulated.  After meditating for a few weeks, you are
      > likely to have your friends comment that you are calmer and easier to be
      > with.  So for a healthy and fruitful
      > life, as I once saw on a bumper stickers in Berkeley, CA, “Don’t hesitate to
      > meditate” rather than “My karma ran over your dogma”.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic