      From: Gregory Goode
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com ; meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thursday, January 02, 2003 4:12 PM
      Subject: Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: THE SAGE'S VIEW

      The understanding is not experiential - whatever experience you can think of - understanding is "in back of it." If understanding *were* experiential (and I don't mean understanding how to fill out one's tax form), then it would be just another whiff that comes and goes.

      It's like when I learned that there's no Santa Claus. I can trace the event back to a certain point in chronological time (sneaking downstairs one Christmas eve and seeing my parents wrap the presents. They talked about they'd make the bike be from Santa...). But what was left was not a mental image constantly remembered and rehearsed ("There is no Santa, there is no Santa).

      No, it's more the dissolving of the notion that there *is* a Santa. Not having that notion is not an experience....

      So if you're looking for an experience, then get ready to look for the cessation of that experience too!

      Love,

      --Greg

      At 07:38 AM 1/2/03 +0200, Athanor wrote:
      >Understanding is experiential! How do you understand than, Judi? i guess that everyone has experiences... at least everyone alive .. :-) and judi, if the ego is not the ground, than what is it? what are you standing on?
      >what's wrong with Sarlo?
      >mirela
      >
      > > understanding is experiential.
      >
      > ****** Wrong again! Understanding is non-experiential.
      > Ever heard the term "non-duality"? Well there you have it.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor