16293The Wisdom of Confucius

    Aug 8, 2008
      CHAP. VIII. 1. The Master said,
      'Yu, have you heard the
      six words to which are attached six
      becloudings?' Yu replied, 'I have not.'
      2. 'Sit down, and I will tell them to you.
      3. 'There is the love of being benevolent
      without the love of learning;--
      the beclouding here leads to a foolish simplicity.
      There is the love of knowing without
      the love of learning;-- the beclouding here
      leads to dissipation of mind.
      There is the love of being sincere without
      the love of learning;-- the beclouding
      here leads to an injurious disregard of consequences.
      There is the love of straightforwardness
      without the love of learning;-- the beclouding here
      leads to rudeness.
      There is the love of boldness without the love
      of learning;-- the beclouding here leads to
      insubordination.
      There is the love of firmness without
      the love of learning;-- the beclouding here
      leads to extravagant conduct.'

      From "The Confucian Canon in Chinese and English
      Confucius" by James Legge [1893]

      FAIR USE NOTICE
      This site contains copyrighted material the
      use of which has not always been specifically
      authorized by the copyright owner. We are
      making such material available in our efforts
      to advance understanding of environmental,
      scientific, spiritual, and social justice issues,
      etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use'
      for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law.
      the material on this site is distributed
      without profit to those who have expressed a
      prior interest in receiving the included information
      for research and educational purposes. For more
      information go to:
      http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml.
      site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use',
      you must obtain permission from the copyright owner
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic