16284Re: Your favorite meditation research or facts??

  • thom_guen
    Jul 30, 2008
      THANK YOU! I have just recently begun meditating and have been
      interested in trying out different techniques. A large portion of my
      paper will be on the different practices and teqniques, but I've only
      learned a few so far. I did some research on TM meditation and talked
      to some close friends of mine who have been meditating for years. The
      over all impression on TM meditation was that it was a money scam. I'm
      defiantly bringing this up in my paper! thank you SO SO much for your
      response!

      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > "thom_guen" <thomas.guenther@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi everyone! I'm currently writing a research paper on meditation,
      > > it's past, present and benefits. I thought it would be fun to ask
      > > about everyone's favorite research, facts or aspect of meditation.
      > > I've been reading article after article and browsing some books, but
      > > just recently stumbled upon meditation myself so I thought I'd ask the
      > > experts! :)
      > >
      > More thoughts relative to my "favorite research" :
      > Many of the research papers you will
      > find were funded by TM and the results indicate that
      > TM "works". But they neglect to say that it is not
      > necessary to pay TM $3000 or however much for a Mantra
      > to say. Any word will work. This has been well
      > documented by Dr Herbert Benson in his "Relaxation
      > Response" studies by the Harvard Medical School. To
      > put it simply, every meditation technique will
      > work if it has certain components. More about Dr Benson
      > and his work can be found here:
      > http://www.relaxationresponse.org/
      > The specific Relaxation Response is copied below
      > (and it costs $3000 less than TM!!! :)
      > Enjoy!
      >
      > The Relaxation Response
      > 1.
      > Sit quietly in a comfortable position.
      > 2.
      > Close your eyes.
      > 3.
      > Deeply relax all your muscles,
      > beginning at your feet and progressing up to your face.
      > Keep them relaxed.
      > 4.
      > Breathe through your nose.
      > Become aware of your breathing.
      > As you breathe out, say the word, "one"*,
      > silently to yourself. For example,
      > breathe in ... out, "one",- in .. out, "one", etc.
      > Breathe easily and naturally.
      > 5.
      > Continue for 10 to 20 minutes.
      > You may open your eyes to check the time, but do not use an alarm.
      > When you finish, sit quietly for several minutes,
      > at first with your eyes closed and later with your eyes opened.
      > Do not stand up for a few minutes.
      > 6.
      > Do not worry about whether you are successful
      > in achieving a deep level of relaxation.
      > Maintain a passive attitude and permit relaxation to occur at its own
      > pace.
      > When distracting thoughts occur,
      > try to ignore them by not dwelling upon them
      > and return to repeating "one."
      > With practice, the response should come with little effort.
      > Practice the technique once or twice daily,
      > but not within two hours after any meal,
      > since the digestive processes seem to interfere with
      > the elicitation of the Relaxation Response.
      >

      > * or any soothing, mellifluous sound, preferably with no meaning.
      > or association, to avoid stimulation of unnecessary thoughts.
      >
      > FAIR USE NOTICE
      > This site contains copyrighted material the
      > use of which has not always been specifically
      > authorized by the copyright owner. We are
> [...]
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic