16282Re: Your favorite meditation research or facts??

    Jul 27, 2008
      "thom_guen" <thomas.guenther@...> wrote:
      > Hi everyone! I'm currently writing a research paper on meditation,
      > it's past, present and benefits. I thought it would be fun to ask
      > about everyone's favorite research, facts or aspect of meditation.
      > I've been reading article after article and browsing some books, but
      > just recently stumbled upon meditation myself so I thought I'd ask the
      > experts! :)
      Yo Thom,
      To me a very interesting aspect of meditation
      is that so many people think of it as unnatural or
      somewhat wacky, kooky, or some similar adjective
      or cliche. And to me it's amazing that people can
      lead their lives without any meditative practice.
      There are hundreds of studies that "prove" that people
      who meditate experience better cardiac, mental, emotional,
      respiratory, injury healing, coping with stress or pain,
      and dozens of other improved health conditions than is
      found in populations that don't meditate. Just Google
      "meditation health studies" and there you'll see
      a staggering amount of medical and scientific data
      supporting meditation's benefits. But...
      however your research paper goes, I hope you will
      emphasize that just as you can not know what an
      orange tastes like until you actually take a bite
      of one, you must not just read reports about it.
      You must meditate to know the reality
      of its benefits. It's a very natural and wise
      thing to be doing, and living life without meditation
      is actually the wacky approach to living.