16206Re: [Meditation Society of America] Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    May 7, 2008
      "Aideen McKenna" <aideenmck@...> wrote:

      > Actually, she says "That's a Good Thing". You can hear the capital
      letters
      > when she says it.
      >
      > Aideen

      Yo Aideen,
      You're right - when she speaks, it's often in Caps.
      A small coincidence is that when my wife read the
      post she said that she tought all of the "Thy
      will be done" quote should be in caps. I guess
      all these Higher Power types command special attention!
      Knifemaking

      > In the photo section, you will find additions
      > to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
      > pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
      > dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
      > Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
      > general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
      > is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
      > most beautiful type of steel. They both are
      > fine examples of why I think that nature provides
      > the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
      > the creation of this knife I was aware that what
      > needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
      > conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
      > similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
      > distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
      > been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
      > to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
      > see the end result and always get further unable
      > to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
      > will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
      > arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
      > very common for the universe to demonstrate how
      > naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
      > be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
      > you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
      > myself of thinking I can make knives and have
      > accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
      > into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
      > when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
      > found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob

      > Checked by AVG.
      5/06/08