      From: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com [mailto: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of medit8ionsociety
      Sent: May 6, 2008 7:49 PM
      To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [Meditation Society of America ] Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

      In the photo section, you will find additions
      to the Zen and the Art of Knifemaking folder;
      pictures 40, 41, 42, and 43. They show a
      dagger that has a Damascus steel blade and an
      Ironwood handle. I think you may agree with the
      general feeling among knife makers that Ironwood
      is the most beautiful wood, and Damascus is the
      most beautiful type of steel. They both are
      fine examples of why I think that nature provides
      the most beautiful art works. While witnessing
      the creation of this knife I was aware that what
      needed to be done by my hands and eyes would be
      conflicted if I let my emotions get involved, and
      similarly I saw that mental chattering would be
      distractive and not helpful. Once a method has
      been programmed into our body and brain, it is best
      to just let it happen. I'm always humbled when I
      see the end result and always get further unable
      to deny the reality that all that happens is "Thy
      will be done" in action. And, that if we in our
      arrogance think that we can "do" anything, it is
      very common for the universe to demonstrate how
      naive an attitude that is. For instance, can you
      be 100% sure that you won't fall on your face when
      you get up from reading this? Well, since I've rid
      myself of thinking I can make knives and have
      accepted that I can just be a tool for their coming
      into being, I've fallen on my face much less often
      when taking part in the knifemaking process. And I've
      found that as St Martha says, "That's a good thing".

      Checked by AVG.

      Checked by AVG.