15977Re: Enlightenment or Grace

  • westwindwood2003
    Feb 9, 2008
      <no_reply@...> wrote:
      WestWind Said
      > > I looked up Jnana, Bhakti and Raja practices and these seem
      > > complicated to me.
      > >
      > > My approach to meditation is simpler, more aligned with Vipassana
      > > meditation and the following is a good fit with my experiences:
      > > http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/mindfulness_in_plain_english.pdf

      medit8ionsociety said
      > But for many, Raja, Kharma, Bhakti, Hatha, Jhnana,
      > etc. Yogas will be far "simpler" and
      > "a good fit" for their experiences. This
      > is one reason that I have found a "game plan"
      > that includes all types of meditation to be
      > "the best"
      > Bob

      All I was saying about Vipassana is that it was a good description of
      what happened to me when I took up meditation. I believe that all
      approaches to meditation in this diverse universe should be accepted
      as valid. The first time I was in a state of meditation was the
      summer before my senior year in high school. I was with a work camp
      by the American Friends Service Committee on an Indian reservation in
      southern Idaho and we were invited to a Sun Dance. The drumming and
      chanting put me into meditation, but I had no idea what was happening
      and only recognized it many years later. So, I accept the Native
      American approach to spirituality as being as valid as any other. My
      first discovery of concentration occurred listening to the wind in
      the trees outside my grandmother's home. I had some idea what to
      expect because I had already experienced a `guided meditation', but
      that was where there was a leader and myself. I tried to take the
      position of both leader and myself in my mind and managed to do so.
      Enlightenment came about a decade after that. My quest has been very
      eclectic. I have studied Christianity, Sikhism (Yogi Bhajan),
      Hinduism, Zen, but only after the fact of my discovery of
      meditation. When I discovered meditation I was somewhere between
      atheism and agnosticism, but immediately changed my mind about the
      existence of God when I experienced enlightenment. It is said that
      enlightenment cannot be described, and that is so. When it happened
      to me, I did not know what to do because I found the `light' so
      overpowering to my personality. It was only through fortuitous
      circumstances that I found myself living in an ashram for a few
      months on an extended business trip. I then learned how to use
      enlightenment to further my development with meditation.
    • Show all 35 messages in this topic