1593Re: THE SAGE'S VIEW OF THE WORLD

  • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
    Jan 1, 2003
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > By Swami Sivananda
      >
      > The man who stands up to his neck in water has a two­fold
      > experience. His head is exposed to the sun. He experiences both
      heat
      > and cold. Such is the experience of a liberated sage. He has double
      > consciousness. He enjoys the bliss of Brahman, but also has the
      > experience of this world. He is like a man who knows two languages.
      >
      > Just as the pot in which asafoetida or onion is kept emits a
      certain
      > amount of smell even when it is cleaned several times, so also, a
      > small trace of ignorance still remains in the mind of a sage. The
      > jivanmukta (liberated sage) has a consciousness of the body in the
      > form of an impression in the subconscious mind. That is the reason
      > why he eats and drinks. Though the instinctive mind with low
      desires
      > is destroyed, the pure mind does not perish in the liberated sage.
      > How will he be able to engage himself in worldly activity without
      an
      > instrument, namely, the mind?
      >
      > The phenomenal universe does not vanish from the vision of the
      > liberated sage. He sees the world as a dream within himself. Just
      as
      > the mirage appears even after the illusory nature of the water is
      > understood, so also, the world appears for a jivanmukta even after
      he
      > has attained self-realisation, even after he has clearly understood
      > the illusory nature of the world. But, just as the man who has
      > understood the nature of the mirage will not run after the mirage
      for
      > drinking water, so also, the sage who is liberated will not pursue
      > sensual objects like the worldly-minded people though the world
      > appears to him. That is the difference between a worldly man and a
      > liberated sage.
      >
      > The jivanmukta beholds the one reality or God everywhere and in all
      > things. For him there is no distinction between a rogue and a
      saint,
      > gold and stone, honour and dishonour. He actually feels that all is
      > himself only that snakes, scorpions, tigers, bears and lions are as
      > much part of himself as his own eyes, nose, ears, hands and feet.
      He
      > is one with the flower, sun, ether, ocean, mountain and sky. He has
      > cosmic vision and cosmic feelings.

      ********* Yes, you awaken happily *in place*, in and *as* the body
      mind itself, such that there is no *escaping* anywhere, where would
      you go? :-) So any idea of "seeking" therefore, is pretty much out of
      the question! :-) We ARE it! OH! :-) So now instead of all that
      unhappy seeking miserable business, understanding takes it place.

      Voila! Anybody got any Grey Poupon? :-)

      Judi
    • Show all 20 messages in this topic