15813Re: [Meditation Society of America] The Best Book on Meditation

  • Gwyn Plaine
    Dec 7, 2007
      The Gita, even in sanskrit, isn't the most accessible book on meditative method, although it is one of the most comprehensive treatises on 'good' living...a form of meta text from which most other religions seem to be a dim, overly complex, reflection... I quite like The Gita As It Was: Rediscovering the Original Bhagavadgita by Phulgenda Sinha since it removes a lot of the late Bhraman accretions. Deepak Chopra's 'Sacred Verses, Healing Sounds' audio book is a very good 'intro' to the Gita... but to plunge a newbie to mysticism into the Gita is a bit like throwing a babe into a shark pool... it's not that friendly or useful...  one to avoid is Bhagavad-Gita As It Is: by AC Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, IMO since the text is swamped by (heavily biased) commentary. Yogananda's two volume commentary is good, but Yoganada was a poet in his own right... and you feel that he had less of an axe to grind than Prabhupada, being more concerned with the original intent of the late Gita...

      On Dec 8, 2007 1:27 AM, medit8ionsociety < no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Gwyn Plaine"
      <gplaine@...> wrote:

      > So, the Gita?

      Quite possibly the Gita is "best" of the best
      (along with The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali).
      My favorite translation and commentary
      will be found in this version:
      The Living Gita; The Complete Bhagavad Gita
      Author: Sri Swami Satchidananda
      Many other "Best" books can be found on our
      Suggested Reading list:
      http://www.meditationsociety.com/reading.html
      Also, one of the best recent NonDuality books is:
      Essential Writings on Nonduality
      ONE
      Edited by Jerry Katz
      and I would include one of the truly classic
      treasures to be:
      I AM THAT,
      Talks with Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

      But...I really think that there is no book
      that can do as much for your understanding of
      meditation and help your evolution in
      consciousness as actually meditating.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic