15788Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Nov 9, 2007
      Since I last posted pictures of the
      knives that I had a hand (actually 2
      hands) in making, there have been
      a dozen more that have appeared.
      They can be seen in pictures #84 to 112 at:
      http://tinyurl.com/54ma6
      I have no real idea how they came to be
      a part of this dream that pretends to be
      "my life", but when I look around, they
      seem solidly present. I have really grown
      to appreciate the fine beauty of their
      wood handles and the form they have taken
      in a way that is similar to the way I
      appreciate more traditional art work.
      Prior to taking part in this craft,
      knives were just knives and wood was
      just wood to me. I am now in awe
      of the amazing textures and designs
      that are in the woods and acknowledge
      the artist who created them as a master.
      But as a witness to my inner chatter,
      I see that the potential to criticize
      this great display of divine beauty
      is ever present. And I laugh, fascinated
      by the moronic commentary that would
      interrupt my contact with the gift I
      have been given in my ability to
      appreciate and "get off on" something