15579Re: [Meditation Society of America] Sharing, Caring, and The Buddha

  • Jeff Belyea
    Sep 3, 2007
      The value of meditation,
      or the act of meditating,
      may be seen as too passive
      in light of the overt and
      obvious damage of warfare
      and environmental neglect
      and exploitation, but...

      Meditation as a means to
      an end; that is, a loving
      kindness and compassion
      that comes from the heart
      rather than an intellectual
      "wish" that we were more
      kind and globally compassionate,
      can provoke us and bring us
      to action. This (meditation)
      is often a necessary and
      critical first step.

      As meditation moves us to
      the heart level, and then
      the heart and mind level,
      we move with a "choiceless
      obligation" to be more
      involved in act of kindness
      and compassion - even if
      those "acts" are simply to
      encourage meditation as
      we attend to our own level
      of consciousness that is
      kind and compassionate.
      (Regular meditation is a
      great maintenance tool.)

      As Ramana Maharshi said,
      "Aspirants meditate to attain,
      and awakened meditate to maintain."

      As more people meditate to
      the depth of the heart stirring,
      the world moves toward global
      kindness, compassion, and
      environmental sensitivity.

      The powerfully simplistic
      mission of the Unity movement,
      "Peace on earth begins with me,"
      comes to mind.

      <bethjams9@...> wrote:

      > I don't think the minister was equating violence with action, you
      had given great examples of non violent action
      > I personally suffer from the guilt of non action at such a
      volitial time in history, the fact is I am caught up in the struggle
      for survival like everyone else. Ted you also gave agreat example of
      the politics of the middle east in the time of Jesus and how it
      parralels with whats happening now, the biggest difference is the
      amount of damage that can be done now compared to then. In one day we
      can kill what would have taken a year of constant warfare.
      > The damage we can do environmentaly is hundreds of times greater
      than what we were able to do even during the industrial revolution,
      so purhaps I'm in the camp that feels that Right thought and Right
      speech are not enough
      > Then again I don't have a leg to stand on in this dept, between
      buisness and work and mortgages and kids and school I might have the
      energy to just go for a ride and drop it all for an hour or so.

> [...]
      sea.
      > A few decades later a little lady refused to get up in a bus. She,
      > like the salt-maker and the Jewish teacher and the ex-prince changed
      > history. It all came from the heart and it all began within those
      > individuals.
      >
      > The way of Peace has never changed. Peace isn't a state of politics,
      > it's a place of the heart. So actually this discussion has
      everything
      > with meditation! Cool, huh?
      >
      > Hey, all this deep thought while my family watches "Selina"! Biddy
      > Biddy Bambah!
      >

      > > Ted <txhandyman57@> wrote:
      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sean
      > tremblay
      > > <bethjams9@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
      > > florish is for good men to do nothing.
      > >
      > > Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used
      > > have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who
      leads a
      > > Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
      > > selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
      > > stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the
      train
      > > but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
      > > public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
      > > of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
      > > rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph
      but
      > > only if we live it at all costs.
      > >

      > > > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@> wrote: Thanks for both
      > > links, Ted.
      > > > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
      > > quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've
      found
      > > out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared
      > > those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant
      enough. I
      > > wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I
      don't
      > > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters
      like
      > > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege
      mentality,
      > > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
      > > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-
      up of
      > > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to
      resist
      > > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have
      trouble
      > > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do
      with
      > > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one
      can't
      > > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I

      Ted
      > > > Sent: September 2, 2007 7:34 AM
      > > > To: meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com
      > > > Subject: [Meditation Society of America] Sharing, Caring, and
      The
      > Buddha
      > > >

      > > > Greetings all!
      > > >
      > > > I have recently become acquainted with a teacher on the Facebook
      > > > Sangha named Lin Zi Quan who has written some exemplary works.
      One of
      > > > them, entitled "Clearing the Misconceptions," that provides some
      > > > wonderful insight into Buddhism. This article is found here:
      > > >
      > > > http://www.freewebs.com/jingxinyuanmgc/dustingthemirror.htm
      > > >
      > > > This person has a Taoist/Buddhist background and great insight.
      Enjoy!

      > > > Second item:
      > > >
      > > > A letter I wrote to our local newspaper, the Lufkin Daily News,
      was
      > > > printed today. I wish to share this letter. I would also like
      to ask
      > > > what you all think of the propriety of writing letters such as
      this
      > > > might be and if any have written to your local paper.
      > > >
      > > > Find the letter here:

      http://www.lufkindailynews.com/opin/content/news/opinion/stories/2007/
      9/2/letter_gresham.html

      > > > Alternately, visit www.lufkindailynews.com , choose "Opinion"
      and then
      > > > the letter: LETTER: Cinching up the Bible belt
      > > >
      > > > The book of Philippians offers these words: "whatever is true,
      > > > whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure,
      whatever is
      > > > lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or
      > > > praiseworthy—think about such things." (NIV) Selah.

      > > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > > 8/31/07 5:21 PM

      > > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
      > > 9/02/07 12:59 PM

      > > > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Yahoo!
      Travel.

      > > Building a website is a piece of cake.
      > > Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

      vehicles.
      > Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic