15577Re: [Meditation Society of America] Sharing, Caring, and The Buddha

  • Ted
    Sep 2, 2007
      <bethjams9@...> wrote:

      > I asked a methodist minister his take on pacifism and action, he
      talked about the story of Jesus and the money changers in the temple,
      the ministry said that some offences are so great they just need to
      be stopped!
      > Of course there are alot of things to take action on
      > A two front war that is in the Bill$$$ and Thousands in los of life
      > We have a planet on the verge of ecological disaster
      > Pandemics
      > the list goes on. and I have digressed from the point of this
      group wich is meditation

      Maybe we have digressed a bit but only if this discussion does not
      find its way into contemplation, into the seeking, into the knowing
      we're working on.

      I used to be one of the most bellicose of Christians, "just war" and
      all that. I am quite ashamed of those views I held. I am now an
      exceptional pacifist. To that Methodist preacher I might once have
      said, "right on" but now I would say, "sure, Jesus had authority,
      understanding, and maybe the right to insist his own father's house
      not be defiled." Then I might question the actual validity of those
      "reports" in the gospels themselves.

      Even that "was then." The question I've had to ask is where does
      peace begin? It does not begin with legislation, with protests, with
      marches, with talking heads or radio pundits or letters to the editor.
      Peace begins right here in my room, in my meditation, in my prayer.
      It begins in me. It begins in my family.

      Twenty five hundred years ago a guy named Siddhartha Gautama gave up a
      position as a prince with plenty of power to "fix" things and became a
      wondering monk. He discovered the answer to human suffering was not
      to raise a sword but to sit quietly counting breaths and releasing
      everything that causes suffering.

      Five hundred years later and a world away in the midst of a broiling
      middle-east, Jews vs. Samaritans and both vs. Romans, there was much
      to war about, complain about, rail about. All the while Jesus
      wandered across fields and sat on seashores Romans were crucifying
      Jews. Jesus could have easily led an insurrection. He didn't. He
      taught ultimate humility.

      A little over a half-century ago a scrawny little guy stood up to the
      British Empire, walked barefoot across India and made salt by the sea.
      A few decades later a little lady refused to get up in a bus. She,
      like the salt-maker and the Jewish teacher and the ex-prince changed
      history. It all came from the heart and it all began within those
      individuals.

      The way of Peace has never changed. Peace isn't a state of politics,
      it's a place of the heart. So actually this discussion has everything
      with meditation! Cool, huh?

      Hey, all this deep thought while my family watches "Selina"! Biddy
      Biddy Bambah!

      > Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, sean
      tremblay
      > <bethjams9@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
      > florish is for good men to do nothing.
      >
      > Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used to
      > have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who leads a
      > Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
      > selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
      > stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the train
      > but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
      > public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
      > of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
      > rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph but
      > only if we live it at all costs.
      >

      > > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@> wrote: Thanks for both
      > links, Ted.
      > > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
      > quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found
      > out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
      > those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
      > wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
      > know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
      > yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
      > of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
      > then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
      > hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
      > another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
      > keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
      > my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
      > just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I
      > dunno. Anyway, yours
      > > was a dandy letter.
      > > Aideen

      Buddha