15576Re: [Meditation Society of America] Sharing, Caring, and The Buddha

  • sean tremblay
    Sep 2, 2007
      I asked a methodist minister his take on pacifism and action, he talked about the story of Jesus and the money changers in the temple,  the ministry said that some offences are so great they just need to be stopped!
      Of course there are alot of things to take action on
      A two front war that is in the Bill$$$ and Thousands in los of life
      We have a planet on the verge of ecological disaster
      Pandemics
      the list goes on. and I have digressed from the point of this group wich is meditation

      Ted <txhandyman57@...> wrote:
      <bethjams9@. ..> wrote:

      > Ego or not a wise man once said, all that it takes for evil to
      florish is for good men to do nothing.

      Sean, I used to have that quote on the header of a website I used to
      have up for an online publication I toyed with. A friend who leads a
      Sangha said once that the Sangha must find the balance between
      selflessness, forgiveness, etc., and when to give voice or make a
      stand for right. Something like that. Too many yell about the train
      but are not willing to stand in front of it. My inspiration for
      public action used to be John Wayne. Now it is Mahatma Gandhi. Or,
      of course, Jesus. It wasn't by going in with guns a'blazing but
      rather appearing to "loose" that they overcame. Love will triumph but
      only if we live it at all costs.

      > Aideen McKenna <aideenmck@. ..> wrote: Thanks for both
      links, Ted.
      > I love the way you talked about the functions of a belt. Until
      quite recently, I was living in a "Bible Belt" & although I've found
      out that a Canadian Bible Belt is a flabby elastic band compared to
      those in your country, it seemed plenty tight & unpleasant enough. I
      wrote frequent letters to the editors of the town's 2 papers. I don't
      know whether they had any effect. Sometimes I think that letters like
      yours & mine only serve to increase the paranoia, the siege mentality,
      of the people who only want to further tighten the belt. So now &
      then, I'd give up the effort, but then there'd be another flare-up of
      hate disguised as Christianity & I'd find it too difficult to resist
      another written call for love & tolerance. Like you, I have trouble
      keeping my mouth shut. I'm not sure how much of that has to do with
      my own ego – maybe quite a lot. On the other hand, surely one can't
      just say nothing when the crazies are taking over the asylum…? I
      dunno. Anyway, yours