15461Meditators predict Dow 17,000, near U.S. utopia

  • citizensactive
    Aug 1, 2007
      http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/stocks1_dc;_ylt=AvbXUAbkiYZSyd7lC97eOewF1vA

      By Ayesha Rascoe
      Mon Jul 30, 9:20 AM ET

      NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. stocks had a tough week with the Dow Jones
      Industrial Average suffering its worst one-week point drop in five
      years, but a group of meditators promise their good vibrations will
      send the index past 17,000 within a year.

      A group called the Invincible America Assembly made that claim and
      more on Friday, insisting they have America's prosperity under
      control and their positive vibes will bring fewer hurricanes and
      better U.S.-North Korean relations.

      Through group transcendental meditation the assembly -- which has
      1,800 people meditating daily in Iowa since it was formed in July
      2006 -- releases harmonious waves which benefit all aspects of U.S.
      life, spokesman Bob Roth told Reuters.

      And the group's leader, John Hagelin, said when that number reaches
      2,500 within the next 12 months, America will see a major drop in
      crime and the virtual elimination of all major social and political
      woes.

      Asked what it would take to achieve world peace, Hagelin said such a
      utopia would need 8,000 meditators.

      The group takes credit for, among other things: the Dow Jones
      Industrial Average reaching a record high of 14,022 last week,
      unemployment rates falling to a six-year low at 4.5 percent, and
      North Korea shutting down its nuclear reactor.

      It operates two facilities in Iowa, where followers practice several
      hours of transcendental meditation each day.

      "This is not praying for peace, this is not sending out positive
      thoughts for peace," Roth said. "This is diving deep into one's own
      consciousness."

      Hagelin compared the Assembly's use of transcendental meditation to
      the invention of electricity and other advances.

      "We have control over things we didn't have control over before.
      That's the progress of science," Hagelin said.

      And while most people may be skeptical of the ability of meditation
      to bring such change, Roth said the Assembly was not going to try to
      change people's opinions.

      "We're not trying to convince anyone of anything," Roth said. "We're
      just doing it."
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic