15436Re: [Meditation Society of America] Balance between spiritual and physical?

  • Sandeep
    Jul 16, 2007

      Turn your very work into a meditativeness.

      While working, witness the enfolding of the work, witness the reactions, responses arising, running a durational length
      and then dissipating.

      Watch the sense of concern, fear, despair, defeat associated with the enfolding of the work.

      Watch the sense of elation, satisfaction, pride associated with the enfolding of the work.

      Watching the building up of a sense of hope with the enfolding of the work.

      Watch the changes in the depth and quality of breath and breathing patterns associated with the arising sense of concern or elation et al.

      Turn your non-working hours into the same meditativeness, in the same manner.

      Benjamin Buehne wrote:

      HI all,
      I have been thinking about a troubling predicament, one that has been brought to light after embarking on a new career.  How is one to balance between the physical and the spiritual.

      I ask this as my new job requires many hours and at times can be quite stressful.  This has interfered with my practice of meditation both in the amount of time devoted to it and the effectiveness of it.

      The solution seems simple at first, if one can't complete a job and remain spiritual than the job must go.  However, according to several schools of thought, it is your physical actions and work in and of themselves that are more important than the act of meditation.  Otherwise my gift of life would go to waste... not to mention I would have a more difficult time actually living (paying bills and whatnot).

      I know others here have had to struggle with similar dilemmas.  What philosophies have you all followed concerning meeting this balance and what advice can you give.

      Thanks all,
      Ben

      .

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic