15435Re: Sleepy & Hurting (very long post)

    Jul 16, 2007
      <bethjams9@...> wrote:

      > Aideen: you may need to see a doctor, it could be circulatory or
      even something in the nervous system. In the mean time take a break
      from meditation. Get plenty of rest and exercise especialy after
      dinner take a long walk if it's safe to do so.
      > sean

      Dear Aideen,
      I totally agree with Sean's suggestion that you see
      your physician. Also, I do have several other things
      to add and that partially they can be found in the article
      on our web site titled "Visualization of Cellular Healing"
      (particularly about pain in part #8), as copied below and at
      Additionally, I want to remind you that virtually everything
      that happens in your life can be a pointer to you to look
      within and analyze "Who is this happening to?". Not knowing
      this is the real pain in our heart. And when you are not
      enquiring into "Who am I?", simply silently
      witnessing your life as it takes place is what I
      suggest is the most beneficial (and truly meditative)
      thing you can do for your Self. Witness your life
      as it takes place in a detached manner. Your body
      is ever changing and sometimes there will be pain and at
      other times there will be good feelings. What will
      remain always available is to be attentive to what
      the senses receive and send out, what the emotions
      are feeling, and what thoughts are flying by. And do this
      without commenting in any way. Shut up the inner
      chatterer. By positioning your Self in the Witness mode,
      whether you are sitting in meditation or doing your
      income producing job, or any other action, you will have the
      potential to experience very insightful realizations.
      This will be true if you are going through pleasure
      or pain, sadness or joy,or any other of the dualities
      of life. The inner Witness is your real Self and
      knowing It without conditional reactivity to your mood
      swings, your thought patterns, or your physical
      sensation changes... frees you from the illusion
      that duality chains you to, and that is that
      you are this "separate from the rest of creation
      entity". This transcendent perspective is the
      key to freedom from the situation that most people
      find themselves in, and that can be described as one
      where they are constantly trying to fulfill a series
      of ever changing desires that will comfort their
      body, mind, and/or emotions. And they never do get
      fulfilled. One desire is simply replaced with another.
      Life then is a circle of frustrating suffering involved
      in chasing after one gold ring after another. But the
      person meditating with stability in their dispassionate
      awareness has an open the door to always being in a
      state that is evolving in consciousness, and is not
      suffering from trying to reactively feed the voracious
      desire appetite of a fearful ego. As the cliche goes
      "Nice work if you can get it!". In any event, I
      know that you are really trying to be a vehicle
      for all good to flow through you and I am sure
      that this will happen. Be patient and persevere.
      I wish you well.

      Visualization of Cellular Healing
      When you go to a doctor, s/he prescribes a medication for you to take,
      or a treatment you will undergo, your body starts the healing process
      before the medicine is in your system or the exercise or surgical
      procedure has taken place. For most people, just seeing a doctor gives
      confidence that healing will occur. Depending on the patient's
      cultural background, this is true whether the physician is a
      neurosurgeon at the Mayo Clinic or a tribal witch doctor. This is
      attributable to an extraordinary healing ability of the body by a
      process known as the placebo effect. What happens is that healing
      starts when you believe it will occur. Your mind buys into it and your
      body makes it happen. The great physician and humanitarian, Dr. Albert
      Schweitzer, gives us this insight - "The witch doctor succeeds for the
      same reason all the rest of us (medical doctors) succeed. Each patient
      carries his own doctor inside himself. They come to us not knowing
      that truth. We are at our best when we give the doctor who resides
      within each patient a chance to go to work."

      Our body is a fantastic chemical factory that is capable of seemingly
      unbelievable things. For instance, there is the case of a 95-pound
      woman lifting up a two-ton car to save the life of her child who was
      trapped under its weight. This was due to a gigantic adrenaline
      release. As impressive a display of adaptability to a need this is,
      our body is capable of doing even more seemingly miraculous feats.
      Perhaps the most impressive of all is its' ability to heal itself - of
      anything!

      There are several methods dealing with visualizing healing
      meditatively at the cellular level. To begin any of them, use the
      position, breathing pattern, physical relaxing technique, and emptying
      of mental and emotional reactivity that you have found best prepares
      you to fill with the object of your meditation. Try each of these ways
      separately, and try combining them until your healing has occurred.
      This may take mere seconds, or decades, as has whatever happened to
      you that now needs a change back to wellness.

      1. In your minds eye, see aberrant or inflamed cells changing into
      healthy cells. If there is a damaged or corrupted area within the
      cells, visualize them changing and becoming free from injury. See your
      whole body becoming pure. Visualize yourself as perfectly healthy.

      2. There are cells within your body that act as protectors and
      actually attack and kill damaging invader cells. See these warrior
      cells destroy those cells that could cause you injury. See your whole
      body becoming pure. Visualize yourself as perfectly healthy.

      3. There are cells within your body that eat threatening cells.
      See them devour the harm causing structures. See your whole body
      becoming pure. Visualize yourself as perfectly healthy.

      4. Visualize groups of healthy cells combining to replace any
      damaged areas of your body. For instance, if you have suffered a
      broken bone, see the cells come together in healing, bonding together
      to reform a complete structure. Visualize the bone as perfectly healthy.

      5. Visualize healing energy filling you. The energy can be felt to
      originate from a higher power that gifts you with healing. See this
      holy energy filling and changing your cellular structure to a perfect
      condition. Watch as the specific organ, body system, or part heals.
      See your whole body becoming pure. Visualize yourself as perfectly
      healthy.

      6. Visualize yourself standing, sitting, or prostrating in front
      of your personal deity. See your deity heal you by touch. See your
      deity heal you by sending divine energy to you. See your deity end
      your suffering. See your whole body becoming pure. Visualize yourself
      as perfectly healthy.

      7. Get an anatomy book and study the body structure you want
      healing to take place in. Look at how the part appears when in a state
      of perfection. When doing a healing visualization meditation, see your
      body part as being in this state of perfection.

      8. If you are suffering from pain, see in your minds eye, as
      clearly as possible, the nerve endings that are in the specific area
      of your discomfort, or all of the nerve endings in your entire body.
      With every inhalation, feel and visualize healing air flowing from a
      higher power and enter you and fill your lungs. See your red blood
      cells absorb the air through the walls of your lungs and flow through
      your arteries spreading healing oxygen to every cell in your body.
      Witness the inflamed nerve endings become soothed and witness your
      body start to glow with wellbeing and serenity.

      Perhaps the most important suggestion of all is to sincerely want the
      healing to take place and believe that it will occur. The Meditation
      Society of America doesn't favor one religion over another, or even
      suggest that one has to believe in God at all for the benefits of
      meditation to help you, but we do sometimes quote from religious
      sources. In this case, we cite the Bible - Mark 11:24 "...what things
      ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall
      have them."

      This 2000-year-old statement is in perfect accord with the most
      cutting edge scientific and medical understanding of the 21st century.
      To quote Dr. Herbert Benson of the Harvard Medical School, "We know
      that belief can lead to healing or at least improvement in 50 percent
      to 90 percent of diseases, including asthma, angina pectoris, and skin
      rashes, many forms of pain, rheumatoid arthritis, congestive heart
      failure. They're all influenced by belief. We in medicine have made
      fun of belief by calling it the "placebo effect," or insisting that
      "It's all in your head." Yet, belief is one of the most powerful
      healing tools we have in our therapeutic arsenal."
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic