15405Re: Zafus and Zabutons

    Jun 21, 2007
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Doris Klein"
      <dorisklein@...> wrote:

      > Hi there-
      >
      > I am just now starting to take time to meditate but my boyfriend has
      > been doing it for years. His birthday is coming up and I'd love to get
      > him a buckwheat zafu and zabuton.
      >
      > He is 6'3 however and I am wondering if anyone out there is of similar
      > height and can let me know whether the sizes of the zafu and zabuton
      > really make a difference. The options I have is to be regular or
      > large/jumbo sized, which of course are more expensive (and then lil'
      > 5'5 me can't use it) ;)
      >
      > joking aside, it's his gift I just want to make sure it's worth the
      > investment and right for him.
      >
      > Any advice greatly appreciated.
      > Many thanks!

      Yo Doris,
      The main thing is whatever helps while sitting in
      meditation in not having his (or your) body distract
      him from the object (or lack of object) of
      meditation is what is "best", big, small, or whatever.
      The classical suggestions range from a tiger skin to
      a cotton blanket. One of the clear "traps" in meditation
      is giving the inner chatterer something to comment
      about, and the body and emotions serve that end as well
      as the random thoughts that float by. While sitting,
      walking, laying down, etc, being aware of the present
      moment without mental comparisons, judgments, or comments
      intruding is the best present possible, and if your gift
      potentiates that, it is a very good present.