15289Where to Meditate

    Mar 11 3:43 PM
      I recently had the joy of retouching base with
      one of the students who for many years came to
      our classes at several of the different Adult Education
      programs in the Philly area where we taught. She has
      just moved into a new home and has dedicated a room
      to be used exclusively for meditation. We had often spoke
      of having a proper envirinment in which to sit in
      meditation, but how difficult that was in a moderm
      American big city. But she has now been able to
      create exactly what is appropriate and advantageous.
      She has put beautiful spiritual paintings on the
      walls, flowers in many places, soundproofed the
      room, pipes in soothing sounds, and has placed many
      things that for her are reminders of the divinity within.
      But one thing that occured to me as we spoke was that
      at this point in her spriritual evolution, I feel
      that she is at one and at peace no matter what is
      going on in and around her, and that the whole
      universe is the proper environment for her to
      meditate in. I'm not saying that nothing will ever
      disturb her, and that the room she has built will
      not be an asset, but that the inner room she dwells
      in seems to be all that she will ever need. In any
      event, please make your meditative experience as
      flowing as possible and that is definitly aided by
      as soothing an environment as you can be in. Here are
      some words shared by the great sage Swami Sivananda:

      The Meditation Room

      The meditation room should be regarded as a
      temple of God. Talks of profane nature should
      never be indulged in the room. No vicious
      thoughts of rancorous jealousy, avarice are
      to be entertained there. Admittance should ever
      be sought in it with a pious and reverent mind.
      For, what we do, what we think and what we
      speak of leave their impressions on the ether
      of the room and, if no care is taken to avoid
      them, they will exert their influence on the
      aspirant's mind and, rendering his mind perverse
      and restive, make him incapable of attending to
      the devotion. The words uttered, the thoughts
      cherished, the deeds done are not lost; they are
      always reflected on the subtle layers of ether
      encircling the room where they are done and affect
      the mind invariably. As much as possible effort
      should be made to overcome them. This is to be done
      for a few months only; when the habit is changed,
      everything will be all right.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic