15245Re: Beginer meditation

    Feb 9, 2007
      "Dennis" <buddy62258@...> wrote:

      > <no_reply@> wrote:
      > >Greetings,
      > I am a new member,also new to meditation,kinda. I enjoy very much the
      > discussions,but being older it sure seems like a lot of work to do all
      > the reading..lol My name is Dennis,I am 57.
      > I do have a question pertaining to meditation. Do any of you ever see
      > visions etc when you enter a certain level of relaxation? I have for
      > many years,but it does make it difficult to concentrate on a specific
      > goal of emptiness. Can someone explain these visions to me,and help me
      > use them to the advantage of all that is.thanks

      Yo Dennis,
      Actually the first steps in meditation are to be dispassionate
      and to discriminate between the real and the unreal, the
      temporary and the permanent, the finite and the infinite.
      To do this, one must not get too overjoyed or upset about
      what passes before our mind's eye as we meditate. We should
      be in the "Witness" position, and simply silently be
      aware of what happens without any judgments, comparisons,
      or commentary. This is very hard as most of our lives
      there has been a running commentary going on within by
      what can be called our "Inner Chatterer". It has held our
      intention and we have been reactive to whatever way
      it pulls our mind and heart. It will produce visions
      of both heaven and hell in it's (virtually always
      successful) attempts to control us. Both Jesus and
      Buddha had visions that tried to pull them away from
      their meditative quest to know the Truth. And so it
      seems does everyone who meditates. To gain control
      over this Inner Chatterer is one of the gifts that
      comes from meditation. We can't really progress to
      a state of Concentration and focus on the object of
      or meditation until we gain this Self control. And
      Meditation can't come to us until we can Concentrate.
      This is just a short summary of 4 of the steps of
      the 8 fold path that is Raja Yoga, the Yoga of
      meditation, which has been a proven meditation
      methodology for thousand of years by hundreds of
      millions of people. Similar concepts are found in
      many other meditation traditions like those found in
      Kabbala, Buddhism, Tantra, etc. There is a likelihood
      that having a specific focal point of meditation may
      be easier for you than just letting your mind "go",
      and sitting back inwardly and just watching the show.
      This is where mantra or watching the breath comes in.
      Many have found these will stabilize your attention
      in a way that is better when visions occur, as you can
      refocus on your mantra or breath and "reboot" your
      attention to the silent Witness posture.
      One of the best teachings about meditation is shared
      in the story about a student coming to a Zen master and
      asking what he should do to gain Enlightenment. The
      master replied "Attention!" The student then asked if
      he would elaborate and the master said "Attention!
      Attention! Attention!". So, to implement this, just
      persevere and sit in silence (even when in movement),
      and let what comes come, and then let it pass. This
      attentive attitude "pays off" not just when in
      meditation, but always in all ways.
      I wish you well.

      > > "bigrufedc" <rTshinanga@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello,
      > > >
      > > > I have the desire to start meditation for various reasons. I would
      > like
      > > > to know if anyone could guide me in the mediation process. I pretty
      > > > much dont where to start. I've read various articles about it, but
      > i'm
      > > > still not sure if i'm doing it correctly.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance for your help,
      > > > Rufin
      > > >
      > > Yo Rufin,
      > > I suggest checking out our web site Meditation Station
      > > http://www.meditationsociety.com and going through
      > > the Beginners section, the Archives section, and the
      > > Concepts of Meditation section. You will find all you
      > > need to understand what is going on, and actual "how-to"
      > > instructions. When you see a technique that draws you
      > > to it, actually try and do it. In reality, there is no
      > > better way to learn about meditation than by actually
      > > meditating. And there is no charge for this priceless knowledge!
      > >
      > > I would also suggest using this discussion group to have
      > > any questions that come up answered, and to share your
      > > experiences with meditators from all over the world, from
      > > all traditions. Here you will find some truely Enlightened
      > > ones who speak from first hand experience and share
      > > real knowledge. You may also find what we could call
      > > "Buddhadeluded" ones who may spout very nice things that
      > > they have read or heard, but also will show their ego driven
      > > pretentiouness and this too can be a valuable learning tool.
      > >
      > > In any event, there is no better thing you can do for your
      > > Self than learning about and doing meditation.
      > >
      > > I wish you well.
      > > Peace and blessings,
      > > Bob

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic