15203Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Mindfullness meditation

  • Marc Moss
    Jan 29, 2007

      Dear Bob,

      You perceive my words as criticisms. So, when the Buddha gave 84,000 teachings to his students for their various dispositions, would you then have applied the zen tea story to his career as well?

      If I or you or anyone is typing, we are not in the moment. This is a level that can only be understood in samadhi. So, no, I am not in the moment as I am telling you this.

      You have misunderstood my post concerning the nine stages of medititation. They are not states of mind in your normal, walking around and talking life. They are levels of meditation IN MEDITATION. Why are you perceiving what I am saying as some all out attack with anger. I assure you, it has not even crossed my mind.

      If we cannot share the depth of our lessons with each other, what good is this posting venue? If you felt the need to attack my posts, which for the most part are expressions from other teachers that have shared with me, led me and many others, then perhaps I'm not completely wrong. Your attack in the last post is evident that YOU got angry at me, or disagree with my posts, but felt the need to attack it. Perhaps you should have a cup of tea and move on to another post.

      You said "This seems critical judgment itself, and relative to suffering...would that exclude Jesus from consideration as Enlightened?" Again, if you disagree, go back to your own personal practice. My postings are to help those who seek it in the spirit of investigation. Your anger is not my problem, though I wish you the best of luck with it if it has benefitted you up to this point. I do not excluded Jesus from having possibly obtained enlightenment. The direct perception of emptiness can be overwhelming, and for those that do not understand it because they are without that experience, one could see calling it "God" as beneficial to those who need to follow that labeling to inspire and cultivate a lifestyle that will bring about the results sought. This is called "skillful means". Perhaps Jesus did see emptiness directly and subsequently understanding its fullness, its completeness explained it as the "kingdom of God". If you turn to the Bible and reread these passages with an understanding of the nature of the Dharmakaya, the Dharmadhatu makes as much sense as the Kingdom of God:

      Matt 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."
      Replacing kingdom with dharmadhatu and God with the Dharmakaya, and you are now dealing with forecasting the results of tantra.

      Matt 7:21 "Not everyone who says to me 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven."

      This passage seems very similar to the difference between smon sems and 'jugs sems, the bodhicitta aspiration in the form of a wish and of action.

      Matt 13:19-23  When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path. As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away. As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful. As for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it. He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty.

      This passage seems to point out the different capacity of students and the intimate relationship of karma and emptiness (provided we can interchange the kingdom with the direct perception of emptiness).

      Matt 18:23-35 "Therefore the kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who wished to settle accounts with his servants. When he began to settle, one was brought to him who owed him ten thousand talents. And since he could not pay, his master ordered him to be sold, with his wife and children and all that he had, and payment to be made. So the servant fell on his knees, imploring him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you everything.' And out of pity for him, the master of that servant released him and forgave him the debt. But when that same servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred denarii, and seizin him, he began to choke him, saying 'Pay what you owe.' So his fellow servant fell down and pleaded with him, 'Have patience with me, and I will pay you.' He refused and went and put him in prison until he should pay the debt. When his fellow servants saw what had taken place, they were greatly distressed, and they went and reported to their master all that had taken place. Then his master summoned him and said to him, 'You wicked servant! I forgave you all that debt because you pleaded with me. And should not you have had mercy on your fellow servant, as I had mercy on you? And in anger his master delivered him to the jailers, until he should pay all his debt. So also my heavenly Father will do to every one of you, if you do not forgive your brother from your heart.

      If you remove the poetic allegories, it is not a stretch to see the similarities between this teaching and that of the Buddha in the 'phags pa chos bzhi bsTen pa theg pa chen pa'i mdo (The Mahayana Sutra on the Arya Four Practices). In this sutra, the Buddha teaches the four powers of purifying karma (forgiving or absolving sins): The power of refuge or taking protection in the higher power (keeping this ambiguous), the power of restraint (not commiting the sin again), the activity of regreat (understanding the sin you have committed to be dangerous to you and others) and the activity of remedy or restoration (doing positive deeds to create more possitive potential to counteract the negative of the sin).

      What I find really interesting about this is its support (either buddhist or christian) in modern understandings of brain chemistry. When one commits an action, a receptor in the brain is receiving the impulse. When it becomes a habit, the receptor and transmitter have become so intimately connected that you cannot just "rip" them apart from each other, you must now create the exact diametric opposite behavior to remove the old habit. The transmitter of the old habit atrophies and the new habit becomes dominant. Now, this is a paraphrasing of the truly remarkable detailing of what's happening, but I think this will suffice for this post.

      All such listings in the Bible in Jesus' own words seem to indicate, if one lifts the veil of labeling, that he did have a direct perception of emptiness. His teaching by skillful means and in ways that would accord to his students seems to indicate that a higher knowledge was at work. With his teaching that the kingdom "is within", and "there are those with us today that will not taste death before entering the kingdom", he implies the ability to see that kingdom since there is no disparity between us and it.

      Sure, I believe that Jesus was enlightened. You have jumped the gun to assume that I am trying to show my knowledge for some kind of accolade. But, please - accolades on a webposting with individuals I may never meet in person? I would just as soon write a book and gather disciples. This is a website that is to allow individuals to share their spiritual aspirations and journeys in meditation. If you do not like my posts, you do not have to read them. If you do not agree with my posts, you do not have to read them. If you get angry and assume that I have ill-intentions, they are YOUR thoughts and perceptions and do not correlate with the truth...and you do NOT have to respond to them.

      Bob, do you not find it interesting that you conclude accusing me of critical judgment with your own detailed critical judgment with a wish for my peace and blessings? Does this not seem to be a contradiction? What would you then encourage? What is the enlightenment we seek? If it's been working for you, have at it and best of luck.

      I'm just glad that loving parents would never teach their children in the way you would have anyone with knowledge behave. Imagine, the child is in the street and a speeding car comes racing down the road. The mother sees what is happening and realizes she hasn't explained enough why the child shouldn't play in the street. She then, calmly and in a smooth and gentle voice: "you need to get out of the street now. A car is coming and could kill you." The child could barely hear her gentle voice, as it was almost a whisper. "What did you say -" he started to respond but was flattened by the speeding vehicle.

      Thanks for the lesson Bob, I learned a lot about criticism and patience...and where anger come from.

      Sonam

      Get your own web address.