15176Re: Meditation Advice

    Jan 13, 2007
      The post that had lots of specific advice (do this,
      don't do that, etc) can be looked at as how to prepare
      the soil for the flower to grow so it's bud can thrive
      and open. And this post points to the open bud. As often
      seems to happen in spiritual matters, a synchronistic
      email has arrived from the (Chidananda) Divya Jivan
      Newsletter that featured these gems of wisdom that seem
      to segue perfectly to these words of wisdom. I hope you
      enjoy and benefit from all these shared pointers that
      are all aimed at helping your (and all) consciousness to
      evolve to realization of Truth (or fill in your preferred
      spiritual adjective/adverb)..........

      "The degree of freedom from unwanted thoughts and the
      degree of concentration on a single thought are the
      measures to gauge spiritual progress."
      -Sri Ramana Maharshi

      "Always aim at complete harmony of thought, word and deed.
      Always aim at purifying your thoughts and everything will
      be well."
      - Mahatma Gandhi.

      "dan330033" <dan330033@...> wrote:

      > MAITRIPA'S ESSENTIAL MAHAMUDRA VERSES
      > Translated into English by Nicole Riggs
      >
      > To innermost bliss, I pay homage!
      >
      > Were I to explain Mahamudra, I would say—
      > All phenomena? Your own mind!
      > If you look outside for meaning, you'll get confused.
      > Phenomena are like a dream, empty of true nature,
      >
      > And mind is merely the flux of awareness,
      > No self nature: just energy flow.
      > No true nature: just like the sky.
      > All phenomena are alike, sky-like.
      >
      > That's Mahamudra, as we call it.
      > It doesn't have an identity to show;
      > For that reason, the nature of mind
      > Is itself the very state of Mahamudra
      > (Which is not made up, and does not change).
      > If you realize this basic reality
      > You recognize all that comes up, all that goes on,
      > as Mahamudra,
      > The all-pervading dharma-body.
      >
      > Rest in the true nature, free of fabrication.
      > Meditate without searching for dharma-body—
      > It is devoid of thought.
      > If your mind searches, your meditation will be confused.
      >
      > Because it's like space, or like a magical show,
      > There is neither meditation or non-meditation,
      > How could you be separate or inseparable?
      > That's how a yogi sees it!
      >
      > Then, aware of all good and bad stuff as the basic reality
      > You become liberated.
      > Neurotic emotions are great awareness,
      > They're to a yogi as trees are to a fire—FUEL!
      > What are notions of going or staying?
      > Or, for that matter, "meditating" in solitude?
      > If you don't get this,
      > You free yourself only on the surface.
      >
      > But if you do get it, what can ever fetter you?
      > Abide in an undistracted state.
      > Trying to adjust body and mind won't produce meditation.
      > Trying to apply techniques won't produce meditation either.
      >
      > See, nothing is ultimately established.
      > Know what appears to have no intrinsic nature.
      > Appearances perceived: reality's realm, self-liberated.
      > Thought that perceives: spacious awareness, self-liberated.
      > Non-duality, sameness [of perceiver and perceived]:
      > the dharma-body.
      >
      > Like a wide stream flowing non-stop,
      > Whatever the phase, it has meaning
      > And is forever the awakened state—
      > Great bliss without samsaric reference.
      >
      > All phenomena are empty of intrinsic nature
      > And the mind that clings to emptiness dissolves in its own ground.
      > Freedom from conceptual activity
      > Is the path of all the Buddhas.
      >
      > I've put together these lines
      > That they may last for aeons to come.
      > By this virtue, may all beings without exception
      > Abide in the great state of Mahamudra.

      > Colophon:
      > This was Maitripa's Essential Mahamudra Instruction
      > (in Tibetan: Phyag rgya chen po tshig bsdus pa),
      > received from Maitripa himself and translated by
      > the Tibetan translator Marpa Chökyi Lodrö.
      > ©Nicole Riggs 1999. Reproduction welcome if not for
      > profit and with full acknowledgement.

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic