15147Re: [Meditation Society of America] Three 1/2 years.......nothing!

  • the32family
    Dec 13, 2006
      Thanks for all the responses.What I'm looking for,I guess,first is a
      clear head and a clear perspective on life,so that I may make
      decisions from the outside looking in and properly
      analyze "things".Secondly,would be a connection,a transmittance,if
      you will.I would like to turn my will over to or at least have it
      nudged by "God"(insert name there)lol

      When I first came upon self-realization,the impact was sooo great.I
      felt invincible for a few months.However,without going into
      detail,things were much more stable at that time.I have a little more
      stress to overcome at this time,perhaps if things were still stable I
      would be further along in my growth,but,for sure,it has gotten me
      through a lot.

      OK,I will stop babbling,I am very happy to be a part of your group,I
      sincerely appreciate all the input and hopefully,I can provide some
      tidbits here and there as well(who knows>lol)

      Thanks

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, Marc Moss
      <jellybean0729@...> wrote:

      > Dear Sean,
      >
      > Don't give up and don't be discouraged. My first question is "do
      you have a teacher?" There are so many ingredients for successful
      meditation and having a teacher has an enormous effect in so many
      ways. From getting the correct information in a lineage that works,
      secrets of the practice that are generally not found in books, to the
      effect on the mind that a teacher has upon a student, the benefits of
      a "guru" are limitless.

      > I would suggest that you look into the Diamond Mountain
      University teachings, ACI teachings (www.world-view.org) particularly
      the applied mediation course, Alexander Berzin has terrific teachings
      that he has received and has shared throughout the years, H.H. the
      Dalai Lama has terrific interpretations of Kamalashila's "Steps on
      Meditation", the list of great reads with great information is
      extensive. I personally swear by the teaching of Pabongka Rinpoche's
      book Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand. It is quite long and very
      detailed. Without a teacher to help guide you, though you might get a
      little frightened with it, misunderstand it, or just lose interest.

      > There are many expressions of the teachings of meditation out
      there and they are suited to the student, not the ultimate. You
      should first decide what it is that you wish to accomplish through
      meditation and then find the teachings accordingly. If you don't know
      what you want, you won't really find a basis to discover it. You
      would be amazed to find that you already meditate in a lot of
      different things you do outside of crossing your legs and sitting
      still. In classical meditation there are nine different mental states
      for the ordinary person. We typically might go through three or four
      of them in states of focused concentration and not know that's what
      they are. You can take those experiences (like being absorbed in a
      good book or movie, practicing piano, prayer for someone's better
      health) and bring them onto the cushion so its not as foreign of an
      experience for you.

      > If I can be of help, you can email me here or contact me
      directly. Anyone, as well from this group. 765.252.8398.
      Jellybean0729@...

      > I have really enjoyed this group and hope that you do as well.
      There are wonderful practitioners here that are truly looking to help
      and are open to be helped. There are soooo many different methods of
      meditation BUT they don't amount to a hill of beans if they don't
      work for the practitioner. Something that helps this person might not
      be suitable for the next practitioner. I hope that you are able to
      find a teacher that will know your needs and be able to help you
      accordingly.

      > Love to all,
      > Marc Preston Moss
      >

      > As long as space remains, as long as living beings remain, until
      then - may I too remain to dispel the sufferings of the world. -
      Master Shantideva