15146Re: [Meditation Society of America] Three 1/2 years.......nothing!

  • Marc Moss
    Dec 13, 2006

      Dear Sean,

      Don't give up and don't be discouraged. My first question is "do you have a teacher?" There are so many ingredients for successful meditation and having a teacher has an enormous effect in so many ways. From getting the correct information in a lineage that works, secrets of the practice that are generally not found in books, to the effect on the mind that a teacher has upon a student, the benefits of a "guru" are limitless.

      I would suggest that you look into the Diamond Mountain University teachings, ACI teachings (www.world-view.org) particularly the applied mediation course, Alexander Berzin has terrific teachings that he has received and has shared throughout the years, H.H. the Dalai Lama has terrific interpretations of Kamalashila's "Steps on Meditation", the list of great reads with great information is extensive. I personally swear by the teaching of Pabongka Rinpoche's book Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand. It is quite long and very detailed. Without a teacher to help guide you, though you might get a little frightened with it, misunderstand it, or just lose interest.

      There are many expressions of the teachings of meditation out there and they are suited to the student, not the ultimate. You should first decide what it is that you wish to accomplish through meditation and then find the teachings accordingly. If you don't know what you want, you won't really find a basis to discover it. You would be amazed to find that you already meditate in a lot of different things you do outside of crossing your legs and sitting still. In classical meditation there are nine different mental states for the ordinary person. We typically might go through three or four of them in states of focused concentration and not know that's what they are. You can take those experiences (like being absorbed in a good book or movie, practicing piano, prayer for someone's better health) and bring them onto the cushion so its not as foreign of an experience for you.

      If I can be of help, you can email me here or contact me directly. Anyone, as well from this group. 765.252.8398. Jellybean0729@....

      I have really enjoyed this group and hope that you do as well. There are wonderful practitioners here that are truly looking to help and are open to be helped. There are soooo many different methods of meditation BUT they don't amount to a hill of beans if they don't work for the practitioner. Something that helps this person might not be suitable for the next practitioner. I hope that you are able to find a teacher that will know your needs and be able to help you accordingly.

      Love to all,
      Marc Preston Moss