15088Re: [Meditation Society of America] Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

  • corkey galloway
    Sep 30, 2006
      This is good, thank you

      There is a new picture (#9) in the Photo
      section titled Zen and the Art of Knifemaking.
      It shows 10 blades ready to be heat treated,
      and then to have guards and handles put on
      them. It has taken months to get them to be
      as they now are from their original state of
      solid steel bars. From the time the first one
      was finished to the time the last one was
      done, I found many things about knifemaking
      that were unknown to me at the start. This
      led me to redoing the way that the first one
      was constructed, and now it should be very
      much more likely to last years longer in heavy
      use than it would have before. This came only
      by persevering in my quest to gain greater
      proficiency in this craft. This was very
      similar to the way I see people develop in
      their meditation practice. At first we may have
      little knowledge of how, where, and when to do
      what. But soon we get some hold on the "how-to",
      and all the rest, and have some experiences that
      bring us to greater understanding, and eventually
      this leads us to be able to fine tune our practice.
      And we become more functional for years after. And
      so, I suggest that you persevere in this most
      beneficial craft.