15045Re: Meditation in the class

    Aug 23, 2006
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, john whitten
      <whittenjohn@...> wrote:

      > I am interested in using meditation to improve focus, behaviour, and
      performance with my 8th grade class. After investigating the
      meditation techniques I have a question: where can I find the the
      position, breathing pattern, physical relaxing technique, and
      emptying of mental and emotional reactivity methods that are
      referrred to to prepare for several of the techniques? Please help.
      Thanks, John whitten

      Yo John,
      What a small universe this is. We taught dozens of our
      classes in an 8th grade classroom for the Haverford
      Adult Education Program. I think the average 8th grade
      classroom is a very challanging environment to teach
      meditation in, but also one of the most needed fro sharing
      this ancient knowledge. The vibes of decades of boredom,
      fear of flunking, general teen angst, etc, are heavy in
      the air, but thus so is the need to present an antedote.
      Anyway, we would start each class by having the students
      get as comfortable as they could in whatever position
      they preferred, close their eyes, and then guide them in
      tensing and then relaxing their body, part by part, from
      their toes to their scalp. BTW, There is a 17 or so minute
      version of this on our Guided Meditation CD. I'll be glad
      to send you a copy if you email me a mailing address, but
      you'll have to wait until I return from Arkansas where I'll
      be visiting my son and daughter-in-law for the next 9 days.
      In class, we usually did a 5 minute or so version of this.
      This also extrapolated into their learning just where they
      keep their tension, and then in "real life" be able to do
      spot checks throughout the day and just by focusing on their
      tension areas, be able to have all their tension release.
      For instance, if you usually keep tension in they shoulders,
      just by relaxing them, eventually your body (and emotions
      and mind) will relaxe simultaneously.
      OK - back to the class...After they are relaxed, and this
      simple technique will do it well, guide them in commanding
      their bodies to not fidgit, itch, ache, or in any way
      distract them from focusing on their meditation. Similarly,
      guide them in directing their emotions to not get too
      blissed out, too upset, or in any way bringing your focus
      away from the meditation. And then help them command their
      mind to not chatter in any way --- no judging, no comparing,
      no commenting at all in any way that takes the focus of away
      from the object of the meditation. And let them know that if
      they do witness them selves lose focus to resist chastising
      themselves (IE: telling them selves things like "You're no
      good", or "You'll never be able to meditate", or anything
      similar that is also taking them away from focusing on their
      meditation), and to just say to their self "Oh well!" and
      for their concentration to flow nicely and meditation and
      contemplation to occur. Oh yeah, we used to have just one
      rule, and that was that you were allowed to fall asleep, but
      now we need to also make sure all cell phones and pagers are
      turned off. I hope this is helpful and wish you well.