15027Re: [Meditation Society of America] Fwd: Meditation States and Traits: EEG, ERP, and Neuroimaging Studies

  • Shankar Iyer/Personal Mails
    Aug 9, 2006
      Dear all:

      I saw quite a debate on meditational systems. Commonly understood, healthy debates are good for intellectual growth.  However (my personal experience) I feel that debate on meditation/meditation system does not help much, except in some cases. It rather creates confusion.

      I suppose if you have a living Guru, and if he is a real Guru, just go by him without debating. Progress is definite.  Progress can be felt.  I still would like to go by the maxim that one must not question his Guru. He is simply right.  However, repeat, however, the Guru must be a Guru in the right sense of the term. True to the meaning of Guru in letter and spirit.  Many times, we educated and so called professional people debate, try and find pin holes and think that the Guru may or may not be right and that we must simply follow our instincts or go by logical conclusions.  I have found out  that a spontaneous reponse from a Guru may be correct and a continued logical and intellectually thought out response may not be.

      In so far as meditation is concerned, one gets into a given meditational system on the basis of his sanskaras.  So if a person is into a given kind of meditation system, he is there because of the sanskaras.  Everybody has his own sanskaras.  Therefore different people would most certainly follow different paths.  So there would be different ways, leading to the same destination.

      People do meditation for several reasons, the two predominent reasons being a. good health b. spiritual attainment.  If one is into meditation purely for spiritual reasons, then just go by the Guru without debate/questioning. Nike's maxim: Just do it is perhaps, in my opinion, the only way out. No debate, just do it.

      Shankar Iyer

      Shankar Iyer/Personal Mails <ksiyer_idmc@...> wrote:
      Dear all:

      Re: EEG etc.

      While there many be scientific methods to analyse and evaluate effects of meditation, etc., which as of now, I suppose, have to be taken to further heights, well developed clarivoyants (and trustworthy ones, like your close friends) can help.

      For example, my wife went through a CT Scan when she had breast cancer.  The scan took 2 odd hours in a sophisticated Siemens machine.  This was analysed and put down on paper (the results).  I had a surgeon friend (a very close friend) who analysed this report further.  We called in another friend (he was also a very close friend) who was a highly developed clarivoyant.  This guy was not shown the CT scan report.  This clarivoyant just closed his eyes and within 15 odd minutes gave a complete report of my wife's bodily position.  You will be surprised to know that the CT scan report matched with what this clarivoyant said. So the effects of meditation need not necessarily be attested/checked up through "material" methods.

      Another example: I took up meditation through the Shaktipat system around 1999.  I was engaged in very intense meditation.  This clarivoyant guy (above mentioned) was not knowing that I am into meditation.  I chanced to meet him some time in 2002.  Immediately upon seeing me, the guy said: "what are you doing now a days? Are you in some kind of deep meditation system?".  I did not reply.  He came out with details of how my chakras were prior to meditation and post meditation and what was the result of the Kundalini jagrati.".  He was correct.

      Shankar Iyer

      dakarmesh <dakarmesh@yahoo. com> wrote:

      --- In meditation_research @yahoogroups. com, "Nirodha (Bill Gray)"
      <nirodhasati@ ...> wrote:

      Hi friends,

      I just come across the following recent study that I felt might be
      useful for us all to review:

      Meditation States and Traits: EEG,ERP,and Neuroimaging Studies
      B.Rael Cahn John Polich

      Overview and Definitions
      Electroencephalogra phic(EEG) studies of meditative states
      have been conducted for almost 50 years, but no clear consensus
      about the underlying neurophysiological changes from meditation
      practice has emerged. Sensory evoked potential(EP) and cognitive
      event-related potential(ERP) assessments of meditative practice
      also reflect variegated results. Some reliable meditation-related
      EEG frequency effects for theta and alpha activity,as well as EEG
      coherence and ERP component changes,have been observed.
      Positronemissiontom ography(PET) and functional magnetic
      resonance imaging(fMRI) studies are beginning to refine the
      neuroelectric data by suggesting possible neural loci for meditation
      effects, although how and where such practice may alter the central
      nervous system(CNS)have not yet been well characterized. The
      current study reviews and summarizes the neuroelectric results in
      conjunction with neuroimaging findings. Toward this end, medi-
      tation terms and effects are defined, the results of neuroelectric
      meditation studies are collated, and the findings are related to other
      neuroimaging reports.

      Excerpted from Meditation States and Traits: EEG, ERP, and
      Neuroimaging Studies
      http://www.mindandl ife.org/sri06. reading.lists/ saron01.pdf

      I've uploaded a copy to the Files section of the forum.

      Happiness and Ease to you all,
      Nirodha (Bill Gray)

      --- End forwarded message ---

      Do you Yahoo!?