14935Last Zen and the Art of Knifemaking for a while

    Jun 16, 2006
      Photo's 7 and 8 in the Photo section album titled Zen and the Art of
      Knifemaking show the last in a series of 9 blades that have become
      knives since they were fashioned out of 1095 steel last fall. This one
      is a 13 1/2" fighter with an Ironwood handle. As has been happening
      lately with consistency, the blade took shape quite on its own, and
      the guard surprisingly ended up being a double one of steel fronted by
      brass. The handle's shape flowed from the block of wood as if there
      was no way it couldn't end up looking as it now does. Also as is now
      usual, the less my brain has to do with the knives, the better they
      seem to be turning out. I guess this is the "Zone" that athletes and
      artists speak about where you just get into a flow and glow and go.
      And of course, meditators have been talking about this for thousands
      of years as a way of life no matter what the activity is.