14891Can You Meditate All the Time

    May 8, 2006
      In answer to this question that came from an
      email today, we share here Swami Sivananda's
      thoughts about this. Enjoy!

      "It is not possible to meditate the whole day.
      Without variety, the mind, especially of a
      beginner, will get tired . It is necessary to
      guard against this possibility. It is important
      that the aspirant should be protected from the
      monotony of one-sided spiritual practice leading
      to reaction and a return to worldly activity
      with a vengeance. The beauty of divine life lies
      in the fact that the seriousness of meditation is
      tempered with the joy of Kirtan, the happiness and
      strength of service, the peace of Japa and the
      understanding of Svadhyaya (reading of scriptures)."
      H.H. Swami Sivananda

      PS: Kirtan is the art of spiritual music and Japa is
      the repetition of a word or phrase (Mantra)
      PPS: There is a state of consciousness that has
      a characteristic of an ongoing awareness of what
      Gurdjieff called "All and Everything". This Grace-given
      Realization can be said to be a continuous
      meditative focus that Sivananda, Ramana, Nisargadatta,
      and others demonstrated openly for decades. This is
      our birthright and evolutionary end and beginning.