14735Re: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Could this be called a practice?

  • Delia Tofolean
    Apr 5, 2006
      Dear Maria Luisa,

      you began to find out what the notion of TIME really means. So many theories, so many practices so many holly books...and only one life, one hour, one minute.

      One of the truth is that we all try to find "the Kingdom of Heaven" while we are living in this world. And meditation give us a precious solace - all who are called and found faithful, whatever their destiny will find more about this precious knowledge.

      Alone to Alone but never Alone...

      Serenity and harmony

      Delia

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Maria Luisa"
      <mlcanow@...> wrote:

      > In my view, all the practices can be reduced to one single practice.
      > At the end, all of them lead to it, if so. Purifications, letting
      > go?s, observation, discrimination, repetitions, being still,
      intents of
      > mindfullness, meditation, being in the now, focussing, and whatever,
      > can be reduced into simple self enquiry, which does not need of much
      > training. It is one step practice. If we can call it so. In any
      case,
      > there is no guarantee of it 'functioning', for the needed
      > concetration for this depends on how able one is to be still, let
      go,
      > observe, discriminate, concentrate..........:-) or just how tired,
      > exhausted, one is of being the one, one is supposed to be. But let?s
      > see.
      >
      > Thoughts are impermanent for they arise and disappear.  The first or
      > most recurrent thought tends to be the thought 'I'. To follow the
      > trade of this thought until reaching the source from where it takes
      > rise would make evident that this thought appears as if from
      nothing,
      > to then disappear into the same place.
      > The biggest cloud in this respect is that we believe that thoughts
      > occur to us. MY thoughts, taking this thinker as "I", which in
      > reality is the root thought. "I" is a thought. First premise, yes,
      > but nobody is ever convinced of this, so that is why it is suggested
      > to investigate the 'place' from where this "I", as a thought,
      > appears. And that?s all that can be done. Only when there is the
      > eagerness to do this investigation, I mean, when one is really tired
      > of being this "I", (of the seeking I) is when self enquiry is in
      > truth done.
      >
      > Realization of the reality of what we are is so simple, so near, so
      > obvious and immediate, but at the same time, we are so used
      (immersed
      > in the tendency) to follow the thoughts and their continuity which
      > generates stories, that it seems rare and difficult to recognize
      that
      > This, (which seems as if no-where, no-place, as if nothing, from
      > which the thought 'I' or any other thought arises), Is what we are.
      > Even to mention this would make a lot of people run away, for almost
      > nobody wants to buy this scary proposition.
      > Now, following the thread
      > (of thoughts :-))
      > being this a tendency (to follow the thoughts), the practice of self
      > enquiry (to follow the trade of the thought 'I') is a direct and
      > efficient way to cut such tendency from its root. Which, as well as
      > can try to express, does not mean that no more thoughts will ever
      > appear, but that their appearances will be known or recognized as
      > what they are: just appearances in that (which I really am) , this
      no
      > name something or nothing which some call present awareness, others
> [...]
      Dear Maria Luisa,
      It is said that Realization of "IT" happens
      only by Grace. But there seems to be preceeding
      events that prepare one for "THIS". Like when
      soil is cleared of weeds and made ready for
      the seed to be able to grow and come into full
      bloom. I (whoever that is:-)) think that this
      post is just such an enrichment of our inner
      soil. And most certainly a Grace itself. Thanks!