14711Re: Teaching inner peace in schools

  • aideenmck
    Mar 27, 2006
      <no_reply@...> wrote:

      > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "aideenmck"
      > <aideenmck@> wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jessieK75"
      > > <jessiek75@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > What might be some problems that would arise from teaching
      inner
      > > peace
      > > > with in the school system? I think that teaching meditation to
      > > children
      > > > at a young age is a great idea, especially if you can start it
      at
      > > > time when they are just developing theory of mind "ability to
      > > attribute
      > > > mental states to others" which usually occurs around the age
      of 3-
      > > 4
      > > > yrs.The evidence is out there for the phyisological benifits
      of
      > > > meditation and also the psychological, but i want to know what
      > > people
      > > > would think might be some problems.
      > > > thanks for your opinions
      > > >
      > > I think that if meditation is not taught within school systems,
      > > there's not a lot of hope for humanity and the planet. However,
      > > currently happen to be living in an area where many people have
      been
      > > raised in a very conservative Christian atmosphere , where the
      old
      > > and new bible testaments are read literally and who
      > > want "creationism" taught as science. They are very frightened
      when
      > > there is even a whisper of such an eventuality.
      > > Aideen.
      > >
      > What a small universe it is! Just this afternoon,
      > I was talking with the producer of the Sunday
      > Morning CBS News. What she was doing was researching
      > a story she is doing about meditation programs
      > now being offered in different education venues.
      > I don't think there is anything more important for
      > the Meditation Society of America to do than to help
      > meditation become a part of every curriculum in
      > every school. This is the best hope to change the
      > "fear" that some have about life in general, and
      > meditation in particular, into realizing that the
      > most beneficial thing possible that we can do for
      > ourselves and our children is to share concepts
      > and techniques that lead to greater self knowledge
      > and self control, and also get people "high"
      > without the negative consequences that drugs bring
      > with their use.
      > In any event, I know that mostly I'm
      > preaching to the choir here, but hope that the
      > upcoming CBS report brings us closer to achieving
      > the aim of having Meditation in Education.
      > Peace and blessings,
      > Bob

      Wonderful! - I hope so, too - the fear is considerable. Many of my
      neighbors think that the sort of "high" brought about by self-
      knowledge is "of the devil" & it's very difficult to show them
      otherwise. They would fight hard to keep what they perceive as
      occult practices out of the schools.
      Looking forward to the CBS Sunday Morning segment.
      Aideen.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic