14662Re: Stagnating the number of members and declining the number of messages.

    Feb 22, 2006
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "jogeshwarmahanta"
      <jogeshwarmahanta@...> wrote:

      > Tne number of membership is stagnating and the number of messages per
      > unit of time is declining.
      >
      > Is interest for meditation declining?
      >
      > Is success in meditation elusive?
      >
      > Is it frustrating to pursue meditation practice?
      >
      > What is the reality?
      >
      > regards,
      > Jogeshwar

      Yo Sri Jpgeshwar,
      I am confident that the interest in meditation
      is increasing, and has very little relationship
      to how many posts this group gets or the
      quantity of members we have. Our web site gets
      millions of "hits" a year, and we are pleased at
      the way that meditation is being found to be a
      "normal" part of society's actions. I remember
      back in 1987 when I first proposed teaching a
      course at a local Community College, the person
      who headed the adult education program said
      "Well, it's a quack thing, but let's see how
      the community responds". Many sold-out classes
      later, virtually every staff member and teacher
      at the school, as well as her own assistant had
      taken our course, and we had received 100% favorable
      ratings. And the pattern of sold out classes over the
      past 18+ years at 5 different adult education programs
      has demonstrated that there is a great desire for
      meditation instruction, particularly when delivered
      without any religious or cult-type obligations attached.
      And I'm sure this growing acceptance is national and
      international. Just last night, the Stephen Cobert
      Report had Lama Suria Das as a guest (he was excellent!),
      and he was treated as "for real" by the host, who usually
      is one of the most sarcastic comics on TV. Also, Time
      Magazine just had another feature story about a month
      ago that praised and verified the medical and
      scientific validity of meditation. So what I see is
      that meditation has become "mainstream" and more and
      more people have now found the "how-to" info and are
      doing it, and the need to just talk about it via our
      or other forums has lessened. And I think that is a
      good thing. If you see the numbers of posts we had been
      getting at some points in the past was over 1000 per month,
      you could assume that there was a greater interest in
      meditation, but that would be erroneous, as virtually all
      of them were about which Guru was valid and which was phony.
      And this still goes on (and on and on and on) at other forums.
      But if you examine the actual content of the posts we get here
      for the past year or so, I think you'll agree that they mostly
      actually do have consciousness elevating potential. Also, as
      far as the slow rise in new members, there is no need for anyone
      to actually join the group to read the posts and enjoy
      and benefit from the amazing resource that our archieved messages
      are, unless you intend to post here. We still get hundreds of
      email a week that this group and that the web site
      generates, so I suspect that the number of people who are
      checking out the group is great, while the number of those who
      opt to join is much smaller. In any event, I'm pleased that
      we have this vehicle to share techniques and concepts of
      meditation, and appreciate greatly that you and others
      do give your energy to making this group a highly valuable
      resource for those seeking meditation knowledge.
      Peace and blessings,
      Bob Rose, President,
      Meditation Society of America
      http://www.meditationsociety.com