14466Re: 3 Superbowl Rings are not enough

    Nov 6, 2005
      <jeff@m...> wrote:

      > Tonight I watched a segment
      > of 60 Minutes (after watching
      > the Tampa Bay Bucs get blown
      > out - again!) featuring Tom Brady,
      > the New England Patriots quarter-
      > back. At 28, he has 3 Superbowl
      > rings, a 60 million dollar,
      > 10 year contract, dates a
      > Hollywood starlet...and stands
      > a handsome 6 foot 4.
      >
      > And what did he say?...
      >
      > "There has to be more than
      > this...".
      >
      > When asked what the "answer"
      > was, he said he didn't know.
      >
      > As a meditation teacher, I
      > found this a powerfully
      > motivating bit of news - in
      > that it affirmed the purpose
      > of teaching meditation and,
      > at the same time, the futility
      > of looking for peace of mind
      > and fulfillment in "outer"
      > things, no matter how impressive
      > and fanciful they may be.
      >
      > Without the inner peace that
      > meditation plays a (big) part
      > in facilitating, there will
      > always be a sense of "there
      > has to be more than this" or
      > an uneasiness that "something
      > is missing" in our lives.
      >
      > How do you think Tom Brady
      > would respond to the suggestion
      > that he find a guru or join
      > a meditation group?
      >
      > Jeff
      >
      > PS: Hey, Bob, T.O. might
      > consider the value of silence,
      > as well.

      Yo PapaJeff,
      Your points are right on the money. But give
      Brady time. It seems like young Tom is ready to
      start looking within for that "something else"
      he hasn't found without. Most certainly his
      wealth and great success don't have to be a
      hinderance. The human with the "best" incarnation
      of the last generation was probably Sri Hugh
      Hefner, and his introspection and sharing of
      the wisdom he found within helped liberate
      millions from their stiff and primative sexual
      hangups. And he seems to have lived happily ever
      after in spite of tons of money, fame, women, etc:-)
      But, at least semi-seriously, there is no greater
      wealth than the treasure of having an awakening
      into the realization of one's eternal, infinite
      Real Self. And meditation is the best preparation
      for that. There is no better thing you can do for
      your Self than learn and do meditation. This includes
      being excellent in any worldly endeavor, having great
      fame, and experiencing all the material pleasures
      that are possible. So for now, we can and indeed
      should have compassion for the situation that Brady
      and billions of others no less unfortunate
      than him are in, and wish they all can find a
      meditation teaching and actually practice this
      most ancient and efficient healing and spiritually
      evolving activity.
      PS: I think the whole Eagle team will now be able
      to appreciate the value of (TO's forced) silence.
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic