14312Zen and the Art of Knifemaking

    Aug 21, 2005
      Pictures #78 and 79 in the photo section show the
      latest knife to appear. It has an ironwood
      handle and sterling silver guard, as well as a 1095
      steel blade and a 12" overall length. I have found out
      that the 3-D effect that changes the woods flamelike
      appearance as the sunlight hits the wood from different
      angles is called chatoyancy. It is caused by sap that
      creates a transparant layer, which lets the light
      reflect in different directions off the grain at the
      heart of the wood. It's beauty is remarkable. This
      seems to me to be analagous to how meditation creates
      a transparancy in us that lets our light shine forth.
      So, all I can say (I imagine for the 1st time ever on
      a "spiritual" forum) is "Let's be chatoyant!":-)