1426Re: [Meditation Society of America] logic and meditation

    Dec 2, 2002
      Dear Michael and All,
      What is written here is so very accurate! The next issue of The Inner
      Traveler will have a sub-theme about Fear, so I see dealing with this
      as most beneficial to spiritual evolution. And what can be seen in
      Michael, Ganga, Judi, and others who post here, is an absence of fear.
      They have all encountered it, faced it, and seen that the "I" who was
      afraid isn't real. Once seen, no need for fear, and no focal point for
      it to focus and intensify. And then the fun begins. It was always
      there, but we tended to run away from "not fun". And after facing
      fear, Fun is fun and funny and Not Fun is fun and funny. As they say
      on the street, "It's all good".
      "Michael Read" <maread@t...> wrote:
      > Hello Tony.
      >
      > Meditation fallacies? Hmm...sure to be someone who would object but
      the greatest fallacy is that meditation practice will ensure
      enlightenment. There are Zen teaching stories that illustrate this.
      And yet meditation is part and parcel of Zen teachings.

      > If meditation practice will not guarantee enlightenment, why
      practice? Looked at this way there is nothing to be gained by
      meditation, eh? But, consider meditation as a looking within and we
      can begin to see that the who and what we think we are is not who we
      are. In other words, we can begin to see through the fallacies that we
      hold to be truths.

      > All manner of things can occur during a meditation session. Joys,
      ecstacies, fears, emotions, visions, transports of all kinds.
      Meditation is a turning within, self examination as it were. It can be
      a fearless examination of the internal picture show where we throw can
      everything on the line or it can be just more distraction.

      > When fear arises we may want to run from it and find the bliss. When
      we do the fear simply follows us. It waits, we think it is trying to
      trap us or bind us somehow. What it is really doing is trying to tell
      us to accept everything. We wil always be followed by our fears until
      we learn to turn and examine them, see through them, accept them let
      them dissolve.

      > Well, I suppose I have wandered a bit from your origional
      suggestion. But, I think the best way to dissolve fallacies about
      meditation is to meditate and see what happens. :-)