1423Re: [Meditation Society of America] logic and meditation

  • Michael Read
    Dec 1, 2002
      Hello Tony.

      Meditation fallacies? Hmm...sure to be someone who would object but the greatest fallacy is that meditation practice will ensure enlightenment. There are Zen teaching stories that illustrate this. And yet meditation is part and parcel of Zen teachings.

      If meditation practice will not guarantee enlightenment, why practice? Looked at this way there is nothing to be gained by meditation, eh? But, consider meditation as a looking within and we can begin to see that the who and what we think we are is not who we are. In other words, we can begin to see through the fallacies that we hold to be truths.

      All manner of things can occur during a meditation session. Joys, ecstacies, fears, emotions, visions, transports of all kinds. Meditation is a turning within, self examination as it were. It can be a fearless examination of the internal picture show where we throw can everything on the line or it can be just more distraction.

      When fear arises we may want to run from it and find the bliss. When we do the fear simply follows us. It waits, we think it is trying to trap us or bind us somehow. What it is really doing is trying to tell us to accept everything. We wil always be followed by our fears until we learn to turn and examine them, see through them, accept them let them dissolve.

      Well, I suppose I have wandered a bit from your origional suggestion. But, I think the best way to dissolve fallacies about meditation is to meditate and see what happens. :-)

      love and blessings - michael