14220Re: ego

  • byron1786
    Jul 19, 2005
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "rushi_kant" <rushi_kant@y...>
      wrote:
      > Plz lemme throw open a question to our group.
      >
      > What is ego ? Why it is always condemned in spirituality ?
      >
      > rushikant.

      Hi Rushi,
      From one student to another,not everyone condemns the ego. What is the ego?
      I think of it as our identification with attributes. If I think of myself as this or that, the ego
      arises. This is our usual attitude, which creates the illusion of separateness and powers the
      endless drama of everyday life. In the words of Nisargadatta Maharaj, ("I Am That", pp59
      -60) "Separate consistently and perseveringly the `I am' from `this' or `that'and try to feel
      what it means to just be, just to be, without being `this' or `that'. All our habits go against
      it"........." The clearer you understand that on the level of mind you can be described in
      negative terms only, the quicker you will come to the end of your search and realize your
      limitless being."

      Why condemn anything? Obstacles are intrinsic to life and make for challenges and
      interest. "The inclusive mind is love in action, battling against circumstances, initially
      frustrated, ultimately victorious." Q:"Between the spirit and the body,is it love that
      provides the bridge?" M: "What else? The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it." ("I
      Am That", p8).

      Also, from"I Am That",p144, M: "In life nothing can be had without overcoming obstacles.
      The obstacles to the clear perception of one's true being are desire for pleasure and fear
      of pain. It is the pleasure-pain motivation that stands in the way. The very freedom from
      all motivation, the state in which no desire arises is the natural state." Q: "Such giving up
      of desires, does it need time?"
      M: "If you leave it to time, millions of years will be needed. Giving up desire after desire is
      a lengthy process with the end never in sight. leave alone your desires and fears, give your
      entire attention to the subject, to him who is behind the experience of desire and fear.
      Ask: who desires? Let each desire bring you back to yourself."

      So, it might be useful to you to ask, Who is it that is asking the question about ego and
      condemnation? And if you find the subject troubling rather than just an object of simple
      curiosity, you could investigate why you are bothered. Byron Katie has developed the best
      approaches I've so far encountered in dealing with troubling thoughts. The basic
      information is free, on her website, which can be found by googling.

      Thanks for your question, brotherly best wishes, Byron
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic