14212Meditation and blood pressure

  • Tony Osime
    Jul 15, 2005
      Hi Rushikant,

      The technique I use is mostly self-taught. I picked up the method of using
      earplugs from a book or some internet material. I had such good results I
      never seriously considered changing.

      Most of what I have developed has come from my own experience. I
      experimented quite a bit, but simply tried to understand what was happening
      and also tried to find a slightly better way.

      I have been limited a bit by fear of the unknown. There are times when
      things have happened and I have had to rush out of my session out of fear.

      For example, in one session I heard a faint distant bell like sound that
      gradually got louder and louder. It got so loud I felt like something inside
      my head was going to explode so I quickly broke off the session. I have
      since regretted that action as I feel that I was going through some form of
      transformation that I have never been able to recreate.

      Also my sessions now are no where near as blissful as they were some years
      ago. I sort of miss that period as it was almost like getting naturally high
      each time I meditated.

      Some other pointers? I strike a bell three times before I start my session
      and I use the fading reverberation as a sort of calibrating device that
      helps me tune into the inner sounds.

      Please let me know if you want more.

      ...Tony

      Message: 4
      Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 04:31:05 +0100 (BST)
      From: Rushikant Mehta <rushi_kant@...>
      Subject: Re: Meditation and blood pressure

      Sure, Tony, from where did u learn it ? who r others doing it ? Is there a
      guide too ? plz give out more. It's interesting.

      -rushikant.

      Tony Osime <tony.osime@...> wrote:
      Hello Rushikant,

      It is my pleasure to describe my meditation practice.

      I practice inner sounds meditation. I use ear plugs to eliminate most
      external sounds. I close my eyes. In a relaxed position, I allow my thoughts
      to gently subside; this typically follows my physical relaxation.

      As I relax and my mental chatter subsides, I become increasingly aware of my
      inner sounds. It starts like the white noise you get when a TV is not tuned
      to any channel. Eventually you notice distinct sounds within the general
      background sounds. If you pay very subtle attention to the most subtle of
      these distinct sounds you are gently pulled into deeper levels of
      meditation. At a certain point you get flushes of endorphins - very
      pleasurable but essentially a distraction. Further still you reach very
      peaceful states of nothingness where all time and meaning appear to cease.
      At this stage there is almost no desire - to continue meditation or to stop,
      even to breath.

      This is as far as I have gone.

      The hardest part is to quiet the mind chatter. The next challenge is to
      latch onto an inner sound. If you focus too strongly the sound disappears
      and you are left empty. If you focus too lightly, the sound passes you by
      and you are again left empty. If you get the focus just right, you are
      pulled to a deeper level of meditation - almost like a traveler on a journey
      reaches a new land.

      At different points I sometimes get insights. I try not to focus on them
      since they can pull you back into thought.

      I hope this gives you a good picture of my practice. Please let me know if
      you want more.

      ...Tony
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic