14193Re: [Meditation Society of America] Meditation and blood pressure

  • Rushikant Mehta
    Jul 8, 2005
      Partly yes, Tony, that's what happens when the mind is restful. But there r two ways of reaching it. One can 'still' the mind with different meditation efforts, & taste the visiting positivities. But that's (alas !) temperory. A better way is to empty the mind of the major stuff (that normally with everybody, is of negativities), & the fun is, as much emptying takes place so much filling with positivities simultaneously sets in, by application of a rule of nature that mind cannot remain empty & there r only two kinds of stuff available, negative & positive; one discarded, other gets in !

      How one does it ? very simple.
      Be conscious of this trap : mind enjoys pleasures , nothing wrong but it craves for more of it & then triggers efforts to that end. This process inescapably agitates it. Agitation is hell ! Similarly it detastes pain, ok,agreeable, but it hates it,rejects it & tries everything to remove it. This again only agitates it further !  So the trick is, enjoy the pleasures but take care not to crave for their recurrance; bear the pain, try not to hate & reject it or fear its recurrance. This is equanimity , the art of balancing that prevents mind from constantly agitating either for pleasure or for pain-relief. Agitation is food of mind. if u starve it , it consumes memories of past pains & pleasures,( like a fasting body consuming itself, its stored fat), but again if u remain balanced, refusing to react by craving or aversion, the stock starts getting depleted & mind changing its habit of generating new agitations ! This is permanent cure ! Emptying the mind !  This, one can do by sitting everyday alone for sometime, doing nothing but observing this mental process. If one wants help doing it systematically, one can look to some meditation technic like 'vipassana' (www.dhamma.org).
      But did u notice one thing that most of the dreaded diseases, including BP, owe their origin to overstuffing of the belly or the mind ? Now u know the way to the cure !

      Plz forgive for the length & yet the insufficiency of this monologue ! May u find yr mind !

      rushikant.

      Tony Osime <tony.osime@...> wrote:
      Hello Rushikant,

      Thanks again for your response. I happened to read it again as it came
      up on my office PC and I noticed something very profound that I had
      overlooked.

      You said that meditation helps the mind by "...allowing the Nature to
      fill it with profound positivities."

      Could you go further on this aspect. I understand how stilling the mind
      can bring about peace. How does "Nature" fill our still minds with
      profound positivities?

      I have noticed that when I do still my mind, I sometimes get very
      positive thoughts, some of which are profound. For example this morning
      during meditation, I appreciated a kind of happiness that comes from
      making others happy. It is as if you transfer your happiness to others
      and it is reflected back to you. This helps you appreciate that really
      you are not separate beings.

      Is this the sort of thing you were referring to?

      ...Tony

      May All Beings be Happy, be Peaceful, be Liberated from Misery.