14191Re: [Meditation Society of America] Meditation and blood pressure

  • Diana Woods
    Jul 7, 2005
      Hi Tony.
      Interesting study. I am curious, though, to know if your meditation practice (especially if it is new) is relaxed for you or if it is a struggle. Is the attempt to change old habits into a new practice affecting your blood pressure? (This, of course, would be temporary, until you become more practiced in becoming the meditation instead of working the meditation.)
      I discovered dramatic health benefits from meditation, first in healing a serious skin infection (something I sought in meditation) and then in overcoming severe lactose intolerance (something I did not seek but that happened from an intensive meditation retreat).
      I am curious to know how blood pressure works for you and others in meditation--I cannot imagine one's stepping out of the thinking mind to contribute to a rise in blood pressure.
      Interesting study...
      I wish you much blessing.
      Diana

      Tony Osime <tony.osime@...> wrote:

      Hello everyone,

      One of the reasons I started meditation was to improve my general health. In
      particular I wanted to reduce my blood pressure. I believe that mediation
      has helped me stay calmer during the day and this has helped my heath and
      helped reduce my blood pressure.

      I have a blood pressure measuring device I use from time to time to keep
      track of my blood pressure. I was surprised when I started noticing that my
      blood pressure appeared higher on days I meditated, and took a reading just
      after mediation.

      To test this I took readings just before and just after meditation. The
      results were interesting. In almost every case, my reading after mediation
      was HIGHER than my reading before mediation. (The difference was small but
      noticeable. My heart rate was however, generally lower after mediation).

      Can anyone give a reason for this? Has anyone done similar tests and if so
      what has been their experience?

      Look forward to your replies...Tony

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic