    May 17, 2005
      <jeff@m...> wrote:
      > <jodyrrr@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Belyea"
      > > <jeff@m...> wrote:
      > > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "subhash naik"
      > > > <sbhshnaik@y...> wrote:
      > > > ...all the past impressions
      > > > condition our
      > > > eradicated,material
      > of
      > > > our existence.
      > > >

      > > > Yes, this is a most
      > > > beautiful experience.
      > > > The essence of it is
      > > > written of in many
      > > > philosophies, religions
      > > > and spiritual traditions.
      > > >
      > > > When the conditioned
      > > > self" gives way to
      > > > the "True Self" one
      > > > is absolved of all
      > > > guilt and anguish -
      > > > and everything,
      > > > EVERYTHING, falls
      > > > into place.
      > > >
      > > > The absolved one now
      > > > faces existence in a
      > > > whole new light, as
      > > > a whole new being.
      > > >
      > > > "You shall know the
      > > > Truth, and The Truth
      > > > shall set you free."
      > > >
      > > > And, as The Tao says,
      > > > "If it wasn't bullshit
      > > > to the conditioned mind,
      > > > it wouldn't be The Way."
      > >
      > > That's all well and good. But the idea that
      > > this happens by way of a magical transferrence
      > > of some kind of mystical energy is bullshit.
      > >
      > > It happens over time by way of deconditioning
      > > and added clarity brought about by meditation.
      > >
      > > You don't get something for nothing, and there's
      > > no magical powers to do it for you.
      >
      > We don't know enough
      > to know whether we
      > know this or not.

      That's what the magic apologists like to say.

      "How can you know that you know."

      Because I can find a more likely explantion
      that doesn't resort to mystified nonsense.
      And because *anything* in the realm of magical
      is *always* phenomenological. So, two people
      will experience their "magic" in completely
      different ways. This puts such phenomena
      squarely in the category 'imaginal,' IOW,
      made up.

      If someone gets a cold, they're likely to
      believe it came from a germ rather
      than believing a curse was set upon them.

      But as soon as a "divine" guru enters the
      equation, all reason flies right out the window,
      and normally rational folk are prepared to
      believe all kinds of utter nonsense. Just
      hang out at an Amma satsang to catch a
      glimpse.

      It's a form of infantilism that pollutes
      spiritual culture like a plague of ignorance.

      And it keeps people from seeing the truth of
      their own being, because they are taught to
      believe it only comes by way of the magic
      "transmissions" of their guru. It may as
      well be a nocturnal emmission. At least then
      you are getting something real, if not icky
      and sticky and gross.
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic