13991[Meditation Society of America] Re: TRANSMISSION

  • Jeff Belyea
    May 6, 2005
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "de la rouviere"
      <mollerdlr@t...> wrote:
      > Dear Jeff,
      >
      > May I come in here with some kind of observation.
      >
      > You said:
      >
      > >>Yes, we can. When the enquiry
      > comes from a place of despair,
      > degradation, shame and guilt,
      > and the hope is for release
      > from their grip,>> snip..
      >
      > Could it also be that this kind of suffering-based enquiry could
      have two rather distinct motivations: 1) the suffering coming from
      the things you pointed out above, and 2) when this kind of gross
      suffering has worked itself gradually out of the system there remains
      the pure suffering of duality in its most delicate form yet to be
      transcended?

      > I guess what I am suggesting is that there is the totally untrimmed
      tree to start with and all that is evident are forms of emotional,
      psychological and mental disturbances. These no doubt form the bulk
      of the conscious experience of separation at that level of
      disorganization. However, there comes a time along the path of self-
      enquiry where these things no longer distract the practitioner so
      heavily from inner silence and some sense of freedom from
      conditioning and shadow emotional stuff. This in itself brings a
      lightness of being, but there is still the residual state of duality
      present, which could easily again be drawn into mere reactivity and
      mental distortion. Yet, at this stage, one is no longer driven by
      the gross suffering of personal historical stuff. What is on the
      table is just the mere sense of duality. It seems to me that only
      when this has been recognized as suffering and ways have been found
      to transcend this fundamental inclination towards mere separateness,
      can the freedom of which you may be speaking reveal itself.

      > Or perhaps we may be talking about different experiences
      altogether?. It is really difficult to apprehend the very many
      manifestations of freedom from where people nowadays speak. So many
      claim freedom and enlightement. I often find it difficult to fully
      appreciate where they are coming from. In the olden days, and as
      tradition has it, practioners in the Zen tradition actually often
      left their teachers, or were sent away to other teachers to have the
      different levels of their 'enlightenment' verified, disputed, worked
      on etc. lest the student fools h/herself into truly believing they
      are fully enlightened while perhaps the finer points might still be
      missing. As yet, we have no such kind of 'peer review' in the west
      relative to our enlightening experiences. So we all seem just have
      our own relative light to stand or fall by. This may of course
      create some serious confusion for many - and a ready breeding ground
      for illusion?

      > Have a good weekend,
      > Moller de la Rouviere
      > www.spiritualhumanism.co.za