13911Re: Emergence of Western teachers of Buddhism and Meditation

  • Jhanananda
    Apr 17, 2005
      Hello Greg, and thank-you fro your most interesting response. I was not
      aware of the dialog on a similar topic on ADVAITA-L, however, it does speak
      to the some issue, which really is as much about how Westerners are
      unwilling to acknowledge that enlightenment is possible among our own
      people, as it is about xenophobia exists in all cultures. And, why should
      we ever assume Asians would ever accept enlightenment among the Western
      people?

      Best regards, Jhanananda

      on 4/16/05 8:41 AM, meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com at
      meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      > ===Could mean they just believe the Tibetan
      > but aren't aware that the Tibetan has that
      > other belief. Reminds me of a line from a
      > Woody Allen movie. Woody said, "I didn't
      > the diagnosis my analyst gave me. So I
      > got another analyst."
      >
      > Interesting post. Oddly enough, I just posted
      > this on another forum:
      >
      > In fact one person posted about 8 years ago
      > on ADVAITA-L that Westerners can never become
      > enlightened and should not study Advaita.
      > The best thing that Westerners can do is to live
      > a good life and hope to be reborn in India -
      > as a cockroach. They can then build themselves
      > up through kalpas of lifetimes to become a
      > member of the Brahmin caste where they have
      > a decent chance of enlightenment.
      >
      > These conservative notions have been a definite
      > part of conservative Hindu orthodoxy, though
      > not well based on scripture, and not widely
      > publicized outside of certain circles.
      >
      > That particular thread on ADVAITA-L was part
      > of a conservative-liberal divide on that list,
      > which eventually led to the formation of the
      > more liberal advaitin list, now on Yahoogroups.
      >
      > --Greg
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic