13894Sri Ramakrishna

  • jasonjamesmorgan
    Apr 14, 2005
      Hello,

      I thought I would share the two books that have changed my life, and
      made me what I am. These are the two staples of a Ramakrishna
      devotee.

      This book is written by a most beloved of householder devotee of
      Ramakrishna. A must read.
      Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna

      by Mahendranath Gupta (M.)
      Translated by Swami Nikhilananda
      Intro. by Aldous Huxley, edited by Joseph Campbell
      It is one thing to hear about the greatness of a spiritual teacher,
      but another to read the actual words spoken so you can form your own
      opinion.
      In this book, the words and stories of Ramakrishna are recorded with
      with an almost stenographic precision. What emerges is a picture of a
      person who is not only loving, and loveable, but madly in love with
      God, what we call God-intoxicated. Readers are apt to feel that if
      God took a human form to talk to us, this is an idea of what it would
      feel like.

      This book has attracted interest from many diverse religious groups.A
      biography of Ramakrishna is included.
      The large edition includes photos, glossary and index.
      The abridged edition contains all the teachings from the larger
      Gospel, but is one third the size. Most people prefer to buy the
      larger edition first, then use the abridged edition to carry around
      for study.
      "One of the world's most extraordinary documents." -- Time Magazine
      <BR<>
      "There emerges out of it a saint who is not only saintly, but witty
      and wise, at times most humanly mischievous, and always
      entertaining." - Saturday Review of Literature

      JJM. This book is written by one of sixteen direct disciples. They
      were privy to information not shared with householders. It came out
      2004, and is a must read.

      Ramakrishna and His Divine Play

      by Swami Saradananda
      translated by Swami Chetanananda
      "This new translation, patiently and painstakingly produced by Swami
      Chetanananda, offers fresh insight into Ramakrishna, his
      contemporaries and disciples, and Saradananda's literary achievement.
      For newcomers, it will be eye-opening; for those long familiar with
      the Master and his disciples, it will be a welcome opportunity to
      approach anew thisunique figure whose passionate desire for God, for
      the Divine Mother, and for true Self-knowledge still resonates so
      powerfully today." Francis X. Clooney, S.J. Theology Department,
      Boston College
      Note from the translator: It took me five years to complete this
      herculean task [of translating the Ramakrishna: The Great Master]. It
      is the most difficult work I have ever done: First, translating the
      Lilaprasanga is difficult because its language is elegant and formal,
      and the sentences are long and full of clauses.
      Second, the Lilaprasanga contains many Sanskrit terms and Bengali
      colloquialisms, as well as technical and philosophical terms that are
      not so easy to translate into English. So I have tried to help the
      reader by supplying translations in parentheses or brackets, adding
      explanations in footnotes, and compiling a glossary.
      Third, Sri Ramakrishna's words and colloquial expressions have both
      extraordinary charm and profound meaning; it requires tremendous
      effort and skill to express them in English without losing their
      essence.
      Fourth, Sri Ramakrishna's life was his message: His biography is
      therefore an extremely important piece of literature, and the
      philosophy of the Ramakrishna Movement is based upon it. Much rests
      on the accuracy of this translation. I meditated on each word and
      each idea presented in Sri Ramakrishna and His Divine Play and tried
      my utmost to express this massive classic in the English language as
      perfectly as I could.
      Sri Ramakrishna was one of the greatest of India's spiritual adepts
      of recent times, actively embodying India's profound tradition of
      plurality. By assimilating the sadhanas, customs and practices of
      different faiths into his own personal practice, he presented a
      powerful example of respect for other traditions, even while
      maintaining a deep fidelity to his own. His transparently pure and
      well-documented life remains a guide and inspiration to millions on
      their spiritual path. I am sure many readers will be grateful to
      Swami Chetanananda for his English translation of Swami Saradananda's
      authoritative biography of Sri Ramakrishna from the original Bengali -
      - His Holiness the Dalai Lama
      Detailed eyewitness accounts of spiritual geniuses -- whose impact on
      history far surpasses that of kings and potentates -- are second only
      to sacred scriptures in the place they occupy in the library of
      humanity. Now, at last, we have a splendid translation of the source
      biography from which all previous accounts of Sri Ramakrishna have
      drawn. Swami Chetanananda's long-awaited translation of Sri
      Ramakrishna and His Divine Play is an epic event in the unfolding
      saga of world spirituality. -- Huston Smith, Author of The World's
      Religions and Why Religion Matters

      www.vedanta.com is the site where a wealth of information is
      disseminated.

      www.vedanta.org is the site where a wealth of information and