13490Re: Two Types of Meditation: A Yantra story

  • Jeff Belyea
    Dec 16, 2004
      Thanks, Bob -

      When I first came across the "Yantra" meditation,
      I had just opened an office, as part of an holistic
      health center (way back in 1981). My focus was
      on stress, weight control, smoking cessation,
      and sports improvement - using meditation/hypnosis/
      visualization/relaxation techniques.

      While waiting for a client one afternoon, I opened
      the Yantra book and spent about 20 minutes looking
      at a geometric design of yellow and purple with
      a red center. When the client came in I closed the book.

      On a guided meditation, the client was asked
      to see herself walking along a path in a field
      and finding a tree stump to sit on. Then she
      told that she would see a flower right across
      from where she sat down, and she was
      asked to focus on the flower while I continued
      to talk to her achieving her specific goal.

      Near the close of the session, I asked her
      to describe the flower she had seen. She
      precisely described the colors and arrangement
      of the Yantra I had meditated upon while
      waiting for her. I was a little startled.

      The following day, again while waiting for
      a client, I did different Yantra meditation.
      Hoping to dismiss the "coincidence" of
      the day before, I asked this clilent, who
      wanted to quit smoking, to also see a
      flower as part of his guided meditation.

      You guessed it....he also described the
      same colors and pattern of the Yantra I
      had seen earlier. This time it kind of
      freaked me out.

      I've never tried it again. But it gives me
      pause before blithely denying the
      possibility of "transmission" in the guru/
      student relationship.

      medit8ionsociety <no_reply@y...> wrote:

      > From the Concepts of Meditation section of our web site,
      Meditation
      > Station http://www.meditationsociety.com
      >
      > Two Types of Meditation: Stabilizing and Analytical
      >
      > Tibetan Buddhism speaks of two different types of meditation.
      One is
      > Stabilizing and could be characterized by a type of "mindless"
      > repetition of a word or phrase (mantra/japa) or by simply doing
      an
      > action over and over like yantra (the continual gazing at an
      object,
      > ie: a picture or statue of a deity, the symbol for OM, a flame,
      > etc.). The other type of meditation is Analytical. In this form, the
      > practitioner doesn't simply repeat a word over and over or look
      at a
      > picture repeatedly. The meditator would try to understand
      everything
      > they know or everything that can be known about the object of
      their
      > attention. As an example of the difference between a stabilizing
      and
      > an analytical meditation, let's use the word peace. You could
      repeat
      > peace, peace, peace, ad infinitum and eventually go deeper
      and deeper
      > into a state of quietude that could be described as Peace. This
      is
      > very nice but perhaps might not be fulfilling relative to an
      increase
      > in understanding about peace. This is where analytical
      meditation
      > might bring a benefit. The meditator who is trained in analytical
      > methodology might also start by repeating the word peace, but
      once
      > firmly concentrated on it would then proceed to analyzing
      everything
      > they knew about peace. They might think about the things that
      bring
      > them peace like swimming, or eating, or maybe holding a
      baby. They
      > may also think about the things that make them lose their
      peace like
      > their boss, or unfulfilled desires, or driving in heavy traffic. In
      > theory, eventually, if they kept at it, they would connect
      everything
      > in the universe, because everything is in some way connected
      with
      > peace (Einstein's' theory of relativity - all things are relative to
      > everything else). But what actually happens is that the object of
      > your meditation starts to present itself to you and you can sit
      back
      > in your minds-eye and simply witness your Higher Mind reveal
      every
      > aspect of peace to you. Your inner Witness, who is your Real
      Self, is
      > always receiving, knowing, and at one with everything and once
      we
      > remove the false concept that we are different (a body, a mind,
      an
      > emotion, even a separate soul) from it, we will know and be at
      one
      > with everything. Our consciousness awakens to its real natural
      of
      > infinite, eternal Peace, Love, Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live
      > happily ever after. This is the state known as Contemplation.
      So, to
      > summarize, you start by Concentrating, then Meditate by the
      > analytical method, and then this segues into Contemplation. It
      is
      > then when all the ???'s turn into !!!.The Tibetans Buddhists
      consider
      > analytical meditation techniques to be superior to the
      stabilizing.
      > For you, now, it may be possible that this may bring about the
      result
      > you seek.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic