13487Two Types of Meditation: Stabilizing and Analytical

    Dec 16, 2004
      From the Concepts of Meditation section of our web site, Meditation
      Station http://www.meditationsociety.com

      Two Types of Meditation: Stabilizing and Analytical

      Tibetan Buddhism speaks of two different types of meditation. One is
      Stabilizing and could be characterized by a type of "mindless"
      repetition of a word or phrase (mantra/japa) or by simply doing an
      action over and over like yantra (the continual gazing at an object,
      ie: a picture or statue of a deity, the symbol for OM, a flame,
      etc.). The other type of meditation is Analytical. In this form, the
      practitioner doesn't simply repeat a word over and over or look at a
      picture repeatedly. The meditator would try to understand everything
      they know or everything that can be known about the object of their
      attention. As an example of the difference between a stabilizing and
      an analytical meditation, let's use the word peace. You could repeat
      peace, peace, peace, ad infinitum and eventually go deeper and deeper
      into a state of quietude that could be described as Peace. This is
      very nice but perhaps might not be fulfilling relative to an increase
      in understanding about peace. This is where analytical meditation
      might bring a benefit. The meditator who is trained in analytical
      methodology might also start by repeating the word peace, but once
      firmly concentrated on it would then proceed to analyzing everything
      they knew about peace. They might think about the things that bring
      them peace like swimming, or eating, or maybe holding a baby. They
      may also think about the things that make them lose their peace like
      their boss, or unfulfilled desires, or driving in heavy traffic. In
      theory, eventually, if they kept at it, they would connect everything
      in the universe, because everything is in some way connected with
      peace (Einstein's' theory of relativity - all things are relative to
      everything else). But what actually happens is that the object of
      your meditation starts to present itself to you and you can sit back
      in your minds-eye and simply witness your Higher Mind reveal every
      aspect of peace to you. Your inner Witness, who is your Real Self, is
      always receiving, knowing, and at one with everything and once we
      remove the false concept that we are different (a body, a mind, an
      emotion, even a separate soul) from it, we will know and be at one
      with everything. Our consciousness awakens to its real natural of
      infinite, eternal Peace, Love, Knowledge, and Bliss, and we live
      happily ever after. This is the state known as Contemplation. So, to
      summarize, you start by Concentrating, then Meditate by the
      analytical method, and then this segues into Contemplation. It is
      then when all the ???'s turn into !!!.The Tibetans Buddhists consider
      analytical meditation techniques to be superior to the stabilizing.
      For you, now, it may be possible that this may bring about the result
      you seek.
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic