13047Re: [Meditation Society of America] Digest Number 1026/Jason/guns etc

  • Jason Fishman
    Jul 2, 2004

      Grant Bardsley <bardsley@...> wrote:

      Hi Jason,

      Hi Grant, thanks for the share!

      Apologies to you and the the other folks here for forgetting to edit when replying to the digest last time. Always drives me crazy when that happens and I'm receiving.

      --- I thought it very clear. But then again I rarely edit the text I write (which probably shows). Just wisps right off the cuff.

      >I've never been a buff or a big time knower of types and names of weapons.

      I'm a terrible accumulator of gun  names and models, the same with cinema, I remember names and faces on screen and directors. I've often been amazed at how effortless this is and opined at my failure to make any real use of this skill other than for fun.

      --- Wow, thats great! I'm like that with music and cars. But for the most part my memory is less then keen.

      >I'm >not a big gun fan
      >in general for the simple fact that I just don't need a gun these days (via
      hunting or >sharp
      >shooting)

      Mine's just for fun but at the same time it's not a toy and I keep it locked up and out of the way of the kids.

      They like to shoot with me occasionally but are soon bored by the discipline and repetition.

      --- Yea I understand. I don't do that well with repeatition either unless it's something that somehow really grabs me. My kids can't sit still for much other then movies and the tv. One or two of them can actually sit and read an entire book, but only on rare occasions of sheer bordem.

      >and really don't want the responsability to keep them out of the hands >of
      the kids,
      >especially when they feel they want to impress thier friends. I know there
      are >ways to do this and
      >teach them they shouldn't be pulling out weapons to show off, but that
      would be >the only reason I
      >would have a gun collection (to show them off). It's just too dangerous to
      have >them around, even
      >when properly trained in the use.

      I agree with you as far as bullet firing weapons are concerned. In England for instance the gun laws are very draconian making the ownership of any firearm a tricky proposition and i fully support them.

      --- It's wierd for me... I'm not a big advocate of laws in general, but somehow it's slighty unnerving if I think about the new gun laws at the local bar (pub) in that someone might just have a gun, get drunk and start firing off rounds when someone looks at thier girlfriend wrong. This is the state of the US more often then not. From what I hear from friends, they seem to be constently nervous of being injured and or killed, which is a huge reason for this endless piles of laws we seem to have.

      Where I live now (Portugal, just about to win the European cup by the way, if you're a soccer fan) everyone has a shotgun and goes hunting. Several hunters are blown away annually by other hunters, as well as thousands of small birds, rabbits, deer and boar.

      --- Yes, shooting up the forest! We have that here pretty often too! Some of the metro-parks here open up for dear season and there is pratically always a story about how someone got shot in thier backyard trimming bushes or playing with the dog.

      >Not that I'm against gun ownership, especially >when people are
      >smart about using them, but here in Ohio they just passed a law that gives
      gun >owners rights to
      >carry them concealed and there are just alot of angery people out there.

      Yes.

      I think it's a complex issue, the relationship between gun law and gun crime. In Canada for instance, while they have almost as many guns percapita as the states, they still have almost negligible rate of death by shooting.

      --- True. I think the mentality is more stable in Canada. One major reason is that they have a form of government that actually tends to cater to the desires of the people and manages a health care system thats "free" as well. The US government is a tax junkie and the people pay every last cent for greedy palms (including all sorts of insurances). I typically get half my earned salary after taxes and I hear england is running close behind in wage taxation. Costs for goods here are very high in comparison to income, but you might hardly notice it on the surface in the middle class areas.

      This was something highlighted in the excellent 'Bowling for Columbine' by Michael Moore; highly recommended as a doc. on these issues if you haven't caught it already.

      --- No, I haven't maybe I'll check it out. For sure I'll add it to the growing list of docs to look into.

      >Anywho, I'm glad to hear you actually enjoy the gun and shooting. I've been
      to >the range with
      >friends and had a great time firing off rounds too! Funny how I just don't
      have >any motivation
      >for that kind of stress relief stuff anymore.

      >Peace and Love

      I'm glad to say that most of the time my shooting is just an agreeable leisure time activity; I hope to do some archery too one of these days.

      In terms of stress relief, I often get hunched in my shoulders and neck from time at the PC and then a spot of shooting (by moonlight with the lasersight!) provides welcome relief from that particular stress, as does the throwing about of nunchukas from time to time.

      --- Yes, that sounds like an all around great view to have of weapons in general. I enjoy doing all sorts of stuff by moonlight too, the moon is such a draw!
      Speaking of which.... I was enjoying the full moon tonight and noticed it low in the sky but much smaller then it was last time when it was this low in the sky. Last time, at arms length it measured aprox. 1 inch (sorry US standard measure). Yet tonight it's just a little over 1/4. It's interesting how many theories there are about why the moon appears so big when it's low in the horizon, but tonight it's not. I guess I'm still in awe of such mysteries. Perhaps the moons orbit does get shallower, but according to science, it doesn't change in distance very much at all.

      Hunter S Thompson was a big fan of destressing by shooting with large guns, as I recall.

      Guns and knives and the martial arts in general carry a heavy non-pc anti-liberal charge as symbols, though there's an intimate relationship between the martial arts and religion; I've just read 'Zen in the Art of Archery' by Eugene Herrigel which is fascinating and all about this.

      --- Is it anything like Zen and the art of motorcycle maintainence? I read that some years ago and wasn't too fond of the ideas behind the comparison. Zen just feels so personal and abstract where motorcycle maintainence more mechanical, geometric, general and scientific. There was just alot of referencing to mechanation and logic in what it's like to experience being human. To me, the 2 are almost completely incompatable comparisons.

      Oh, which reminds me of a preview for a new movie thats comming out that I saw before spiderman 2 this evening. It's about the human race building robots to serve mankind, but then the robots attempt to take control (not a new idea, but looks like fun for sci-fi/action buffs like me), adopting the human attributes of power and desire. It's starring Will Smith (who was a rapper, turned tv star, then movie star) and who I think is great and versatile, even in the more serious roles. Just some thoughts as you mentioned cinema, spiderman 2 was awesome and thrilling! Better then the first one I think.

      ---

      Peace and Love

      Do you Yahoo!?