13010Re: About the so-called "dangers" of pranayama

    Jun 26, 2004
      <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > Bob,
      >
      > What is 1-4-2?

      One inhales for 1 unit of time, holds the breath for 4 units and
      exhales for 2. This is continued until the pattern is regular, then it
      is doubled to inhale for 2 units of time, hold for 8 and exhale for 4.
      This goes on until a maximum of 16 inhalation, 64 held, and 32
      exhaled. Often it can take before the practicioner moves on to the
      first doubling. This has been one of the most basic pranayama
      techniques for centuries, and is very well known by millions.

      > I suspect the reason you have seen only one reaction
      > across 4000 students is that the pranayama practiced
      > is minimally interventive. Alternate nostril breathing,
      > while interventive, is calming to the nervous system.
      > Begin working with vilomas and breath retentions and
      > the dynamics change.
      >
      > Reminds me of Eric Small telling us how he had been
      > practicing breath retention (heat building) during the
      > time just prior to being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis
      > (exacerbated by heat).
      >
      > Reminds me of how, during the pranayama classes required
      > for my training, we consistantly had at least 1 person
      > (not the same person) with an emotional reaction to the
      > exercises in each class. Some people had physical reactions,
      > as well, though those were more difficult to detect in
      > one's neighbor. However, physical and emotional reactions
      > do not necessarily occur discretely... the two were often
      > interconnected... and this is a piece of information that
      > could potentially be of a lot of use for meditators (if
      > they weren't so busy convincing themselves that physical
      > discomfort was all in their imagination.)
      >
      > The breath is the bridge between the conscious and
      > unconscious. Meditators are often well-versed in what
      > this means for the mind, but it may also be noted that
      > the body has corresponding conscious and unconscious
      > controls, which may be influenced by pranayama beyond
      > the most basic 'following the breath'. This is the root
      > of the warnings, Bob, though some teachers may use
      > those warnings to keep their classes full.
      >
      > Nina

      Dear Nina,
      When you say "we consistantly had at least 1 person(not the same
      person) with an emotional reaction to the exercises in each class."
      are you suggesting a "negative" emotional reaction? If so, perhaps
      there may be a question about the skill level of the teacher. We
      always had many students report wonderful emotional, physical, mental,
      and spiritual results from what we shared. As a matter of fact, the
      1-4-2 technique is also referred to as the "How to get high without
      drugs" technique, and afforded many with a higher high, greater
      insights and inner sights than any drug had ever given them. There
      also was a possible to label as problematical side effect to this. The
      technique works so well that some would become bliss-seekers/ecstacy
      junkies of a sort. But even if this problem is a problem worth
      mentioning, I know of no evidence anywhere that practicing breath
      retention will lead to MS, or any other such consequence. And I see no
      need or benefit to using this kind of wild claim to discourage the
      potential good results experienced by so many for so long of
      practicing pranayama.
      BTW, I question the statement that implies that meditators are "so
      busy convincing themselves that physical discomfort was all in their
      imagination". We have many oncologists, neurologists, cardiologists,
      psychiatrists, GP's, etc attending and sending their patients to our
      classes, so as to be better able to deal with their physical
      discomforts. There is no 'bodily dis-ease is all in the mind' attitude
      prevelant in any of our, or in most meditation classes I know of (such
      as those given by the Integral Yoga org or the Sivananda ashrams). In
      any event, I do value pranayama greatly, as I do visualization,
      mantra, self-enquiry, Raja yoga, and all the other things that bring
      peace to so many, and hope that what we do here on this group is
      helping make these concepts and methods available to those who seek
      this knowledge.

      Peace and blesings,
      > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "Nina"
      > > <murrkis@y...> wrote:
      > > > Bob,
      > > >
      > > > What form of pranayama was practiced?
      > > >
      > > > Nina
      > >
      > > We shared several techniques such as alternate nostril breathing,
      > > Soham, 1-4-2, 108-An Easy, Hard Technique
      > > http://www.meditationsociety.com/week30.html
      > > and a few others. BTW, I love pranayama, and suggest everyone keep
      > > breathing:-)
      > > Peace and blessings,
      > > Bob
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic